News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Payphone

Started by Nilsog, September 04, 2011, 06:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Found this in the local high school. It was disconnected but still on the wall. I may drop in to see if I can grab it if they're going to get rid of it.

No markings on it at all. I felt the bottom and it had four footpads, I assume it could also be placed on a desk.

Ken

GG

One of many different designs that originated in Japan, Australia, and so on, and were imported to the USA and modified accordingly, for use as "COCOTs", Customer-Owned Coin-Operated Telephones.

IMHO the best ones of that general type retained the "press this button when your party answers" feature for answer supervision, that was originally used in their overseas versions.   The ones with computerized "interpreters" to figure out answer supervision were too complicated for their own good.   Though, it would have been far better had all telephone lines come standard with reverse-polarity-on-answer, a feature that used to exist in Strowger switches.  Or better yet, European style "metering pulses," that could go through a much simpler "interpreter" to determine rates.

gpo706

GG my COCOT BT 190 ha a removable data stick/chip in it which the [honeco would send you to update call charges, it also stopped your local pub landlord tweaking his unit to rob you...

It was called a Plug In Customisor (PIC).

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"