News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay hidden treasure??

Started by Babybearjs, May 01, 2011, 03:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

has anyone ever purchased a WE 302 on ebay and discover they got more then they bargained for?? hidden treasure... the purchase turns out to really be a 304, 306, and even a 307.... I keep finding this on ebay and getting a real bargain... It amazes me that some people sell stuff with out really knowing what they actually have....  John
John

ESalter

Just the other day I bought a WE C1 spacesaver with a G1 handset.  In the photo I could tell it had a #2 dial.  The picture was JUST enough of an angle to tell the finger stop mounted to the outside of the dial, so I went for it.  Showed up yesterday, it's an un-molested 2HE dial.  Fingerstop isn't even struck-out.  Needless to say, I'm quite pleased.

Dan/Panther

What really makes me mad is when, Mr. Helpful points it out, close to the end of an auction, you've been following low key for a week.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ESalter

Tell me about it!  That's why I didn't ask the seller what the fingerstop markings were.  I figured I'd rather take a chance than ask and have them post the question to the auction page for one and all to see.

Doug Rose

Quote from: ESalter on May 01, 2011, 09:58:44 AM
Just the other day I bought a WE C1 spacesaver with a G1 handset.  In the photo I could tell it had a #2 dial.  The picture was JUST enough of an angle to tell the finger stop mounted to the outside of the dial, so I went for it.  Showed up yesterday, it's an un-molested 2HE dial.  Fingerstop isn't even struck-out.  Needless to say, I'm quite pleased.
Great eyes....how about a link to the auction so we can see what we missed....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Babybearjs, I used those exact words in this thread.........

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2521.30

I bought what I thought was a Model 302 only to discover it is a Model 332C, a modulated version.  I got more than I bargained for.......

I've had it a year now and it is still in the same condition.  It's on my list of things to do....right Jorge?

GG

IMHO that's what makes "the hunt" interesting: the elements of surprise, "did anyone else see that?!", and the benefits of looking closely at stuff that might otherwise be missed.  It would be a boring world if every rare or otherwise interesting piece was described in detail, price-keyed to "official" price guides, and pre-destined to always go to whoever was willing/able to pay high prices. 

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 01, 2011, 08:14:48 PM
Babybearjs, I used those exact words in this thread.........

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2521.30

I bought what I thought was a Model 302 only to discover it is a Model 332C, a modulated version.  I got more than I bargained for.......

I've had it a year now and it is still in the same condition.  It's on my list of things to do....right Jorge?

Dennis:

At the rate you are going, it will be a necessity to use this phone when you are done with it!   ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

ESalter

Here's the link to the C1 page:

http://tinyurl.com/4xbws69

It was painted gray, but the paint is coming off very easily.  It should clean up really nice and I happen to have an extra E1 handset for it.

---Eric

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Eric.  Congratulations!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 02, 2011, 09:41:19 AM
Very nice phone, Eric.  Congratulations!
I second that emotion....great phone....Doug
Kidphone

ESalter

Thanks guys!  It's my first #2 dial, so I was pretty excited to win it.  A couple weeks ago I also got a lucky BIN($30) for a WE 460GC key set.  The photos in the auction showed it as being cracked, but when it showed up and I unpacked it, I actually had to search for the crack!  It's dated 1941.  It wasn't in very bad at all.  That phone cleaned up really nice.  I'm actually planning on hooking up the first line to my phone line in my apartment and using it on my desk!  Anyway, here's a link to the 460:  It's from the same lady that sold the $700 painted blue 302.

http://tinyurl.com/5sfvotm

When I can I'll post pictures of both of these phones cleaned up.

---Eric