News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I don't understand this NOS 500 clone on eBay...

Started by Partyline4, September 01, 2018, 03:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302859647084

102$ and counting? It's not even branded! I don't care if it's NOS or not!

You can't hardly sell a 1950's 500 for more than $50 MAYBE!

Does anybody else see the secret to this mystery phone?

It's just about as plain Jane as you can get in my opinion....

Partyline4

Just as I mention it, what pops up on the search? A NOS WE 1969 500 currently at 86$ These two shoulnd't even be in the same BALLPARK, let alone the no name being $20 more up the creek.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292698836988

andre_janew

Actually that second phone is a 510 from 1959 according to the pictures.  I don't know why the first one is $20 more.  Also, $102 is the starting price.  The seller might want to cut that in half and start at $51. 

poplar1

Quote from: andre_janew on September 01, 2018, 04:19:13 PM
Actually that second phone is a 510 from 1959 according to the pictures.  I don't know why the first one is $20 more.  Also, $102 is the starting price.  The seller might want to cut that in half and start at $51. 

Starting price on the ivory phone was $19.95. $102.50 is the current bid, which is the 51st bid.
Also, it is not new -- despite seller's description. It was refurbished 8-92.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallrick

It looks like something from Cortelco Plastic ring adjuster means late 80's or newer

tubaman

Totally bonkers.
I can understand the NOS '59 getting decent money but not the cream modular one.
Note that on the modular one it's the same two bidders from about $60 upwards.
Madness! :o

Partyline4

Could be a wind up by two people that know each other, hoping they'll confuse a dummy like me into placing a bid into the mix.

Not a chance!

Jim Stettler

I think you have 2 bidders thinking that this is one of the only NOS rotary phones left in the world.
Therefore it must be worth a whole lot of $ to a telephone collector.
I would pay up to $5.00 at an estate sale for it.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

8-92 is hardly New Old Stock.... more like just Unsold Stock.... Looks a bit like a TDP brand phone. I have the box to one (sold to me with a '70 red WE 500 in it) that's dated from the late 80s.
TWinbrook7

oldguy

Gary

Partyline4

Auction states there were 8 bidders playing at the end of the auction...

Seller has had a NOS ITT 500 on recently...went for 76.

I can't see any immediate signs of shilling or foul play.

I just seriously don't understand.

AL_as_needed

Well it is Ebay after all. I mean how many times do we get lucky and snipe something out for well below retail value... I guess this is the inverse, a few people get excited and pay more than retail.
TWinbrook7

andre_janew

For some strange reason, several people wanted this phone really bad.  I guess they thought it was the last rotary phone ever made.  The people on this forum know better than that.  I'm thinking that the last rotary phone was made in 2006.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: andre_janew on September 04, 2018, 06:29:12 PM
For some strange reason, several people wanted this phone really bad.  I guess they thought it was the last rotary phone ever made.  The people on this forum know better than that.  I'm thinking that the last rotary phone was made in 2006.

Now what if someone made one up from NOS parts? Could that be considered a "modern production" phone? I only ask as my WE 5302 was assembled from a few boxes of 302 parts and a random shell.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 08, 2018, 06:30:00 PMI only ask as my WE 5302 was assembled from a few boxes of 302 parts and a random shell.

Your 5302 was made of a 302 and a few conversion parts including the shell and handset variation. All of them were.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.