News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The steal of the week

Started by bingster, March 03, 2009, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

This one was listed yesterday, and I was watching it closely.  I noticed today that it had been sold.  Apparently somebody convinced the seller to do a BIN for $50.  I don't know what year it is, but it's early, given the matching dark grey cords.  The poor seller could have had a boatload of money, but now has only fifty. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220371185203
( dead link 07-14-21 )
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I asked the seller yesterday to verify the color of the cords.  He/She responded "dark green".  I believe they were gray.  Then, like you I checked on it this afternoon and saw the $50 B.I.N.  I e-mailed her to say too bad, you should have let it run, that phone was worth a fortune! :)  Well, OK, maybe not a fortune, but more than $50.

Perry

bingster

When I posted this, I had forgotten it showed the date on the bottom: 4-56.

If the seller has any sense, he or she will come up with some excuse to cancel the transaction and relist the phone.  I'm not holding out hope though.  I suppose all's fair in love and telephones, but this reallly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
= DARRIN =

bingster

Another steal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370168364579

I was watching this one for myself, otherwise I'd have posted it.  Of course, I completely forgot to bid on it. ::)

Soft plastic, six-hole receiver cap, date (obscured) and model on the front edge... Looks like a brilliant bargain.  Anybody here get it?
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Here I am up at 4am cuz' some kids ran into my curb with their van a little while ago/ :-[  (they were all sauced and they bent the rim up and the cops showed up and it got dramatic)  And then I see this phone that is clearly an early early model, 1950 for sure, go for 10 bucks!  This is not a good start to the day, I ought to hit rewind.

Dennis Markham

I don't know how I missed that one.....looks like a 1950 model for sure.  Better luck next time for all of us....

McHeath

It's got the same thin lettering on the dial bezel that my 1951 500 bezel has.  With the operator written out the "normal" way I'd guess that phone is late 50.  Wonder if it had any parts from the mythical 49' era?