News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone gotten inside of a old style OOMA Telo unit yet?

Started by 19and41, March 08, 2017, 03:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

The unit is supposed to give an audible feedback for each of it's selected functions, as well as audible playbach of voicemail messages.  Mine has went silent for some reason.  I called OOMA and got the good old "sorry to hear about your broken speaker, we can correct this for you with  a new Telo Device for only $79+S&H."  I would like to try fixing it, but am concerned about any anti tampering function the unit might have.  T tried a cursory insertion of the very tip of my pallette knife under the membrane top, but it's little logo comes on when I do so.  I am not a tinkerer around electronics, making my living repairing 800 Mhz hand held 2 way radios, but knowing the possible consequences of anti tampering circuitry makes me want to know if anyone else has tried it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Went on Ebay and found a newer type low mileage unit for $35.  Bought it and 2 days later the audio suddenly began functioning on the old unit.  I'm still waiting to have the newer unit set up on my account, having called to begin the process yesterday.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Now that you have a new one you can disect the old one. IMO the best way to learn!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Went online to see If I could find out anything about getting into it.  Found this from someone who personally hand broke his.  Now I have the key!

— Arthur C. Clarke