News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 5302G

Started by Gary, September 21, 2010, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Congratulations!  When I finally managed to open mine, I found the inside of the cap covered in thick, fuzzy, white mold :(  Yours looks spotless.

One point, which you may have already discovered, is that the metal contacts in the transmitter cup in the handset just barely touch the bottom of the transmitter capsule.  It may help to gently bend the contacts upward a bit so that they will make better contact.

Larry

Gary

Thanks D, I agree about the handset.
Larry, that's why I really wanted to get this open, to make sure there were no surprises in there but  yes, it's very clean.  I'll keep that in mind about the contacts when I put it together.  Thanks for the help!!

Gary

Finished cleaning it up this weekend.  Everything works well.  Jorge's finish procedure using Turtle Wax F21 after Novus 2 was another success.

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

It looks great, but you need to fix the coils on the handset cord.

Larry

Gary

Thanks Larry!  I noticed that and tried flipping it a few times but seemed to make it worse so I gave up.  A rookie mistake  ;)  I'll try working them out some more.

paul-f

Quote from: Gary on September 26, 2010, 04:09:50 PM
Thanks Larry!  I noticed that and tried flipping it a few times but seemed to make it worse so I gave up.  A rookie mistake  ;)  I'll try working them out some more.

Try using a dowel.  Check out this topic:
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=202.0

Size the dowel based on the inside diameter of the coil.  With a little practice, you can wind cords on the dowel while still attached to the set and handset -- although it's a lot easier if you disconnect it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gary

Thanks Paul, that's an interesting thread with some great techniques.  I quickly tried undoing the mis-loop(?) and found myself just moving it up the cord until it was out and they were all spiraling in the same direction.  After reading that thread, I can see now how the cord still looks somewhat stretched in spots and could benefit from a reforming procedure with a dowel and some heat.

Kenny C

I bake at 170 instead of 200(?) for 20 min. and put it in the freezer for the same time to let it cool the let it warnm to room temp.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

Great looking phone and it's turned out well, you can be proud of it.  It's great how a phone made in 1941 was later turned into a "modern" phone and is still being used in the 21st century.  

The cooking the cord trick with the oven and dowel works wonders and will make that cord look new.  I've had excellent results with cords in much worse shape than this one.  

Gary

Thanks McHeath, yes I love this phone how it's really two in one!  I'll give that technique a try on the cord sometime.