News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE880 Speaker Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 04, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

My AE880 just arrived.  I paid $18 plus $12.54 shipping for it.  Did I get a good deal?  

I had never seen one of these in person until today.  It seems bigger that I had expected.  I gave it a quick try, and it mostly worked quite well, but at times, there was bad static when using the handset.  I suspect that there is a dirty hook switch contact.  The line cord is quite thick and very long.

I hope that I won't develop a desire to collect these in all of the colors and that basic black will suffice.  If I can figure out how to keep it on on near my desk, I might start using it as a speaker phone since the sound quality is good.

Larry

HowardPgh

Does this phone need a power supply?
Howard

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HowardPgh on May 04, 2012, 03:24:17 PM
Does this phone need a power supply?

No.  It works off the phone line.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Those 880's, in my opinion are a very well engineered and well built speakerphone.  They work right off the phone line (in most cases), and the sound quality is excellent.

They also have a unique shape that kind of makes me want to put mine next to a lava lamp, except I don't own a lava lamp.  :)

-Bill G

stub

LarryInMichigan,
                       Yes , you got a good deal !! You know you can't leave that poor 880 by it's self  :o. Only 5 more colors to go ::)  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

And no you can't have my Turquoise 880. That goes for you too Stub! However, I still need a gray one.....

Terry

stub

Terry,
        Somebody is supposed to be helping me find a Turquoise 880 ::)  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on May 12, 2012, 01:13:21 AM
Somebody is supposed to be helping me find a Turquoise 880 ::)  stub

Oh that's good, glad you have one in the works! FInd an auction with both a gray one and a turquoise one and we can bid on it together.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 04, 2012, 01:57:22 PM
My AE880 just arrived.  I paid $18 plus $12.54 shipping for it.  Did I get a good deal?
Hi Larry:

That sounds like a super deal, for some reason, though I have tried many times, I have never been able to win an auction for one - at several times that amount! One day there will be one awaiting my bid. I think they are great phones, and one day, I will add one to the museum.

Nice! It seems to me that the black ones seem a little less common. All I have bid on over the years were other colours, but I think you black one looks really sharp!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001