News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric/volume button

Started by TxRattler, November 28, 2018, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxRattler

I want to install a volume button in this phone, but I cannot find where to connect the leads. any input, folks?

I appreciate your time, and look forward to contributing here.

Paul

Key2871

All my instructions are in my shed/ phone shop. I'd be happy to help. A lot depends on what chassis your using, with what dial. Are you installing into a C or D set?
If you don't know, look at the number on the bottom of your chassis, near the connector for the dial cord.
Post it here and if no one else comes through I'll post it here tomorrow AM.do you just have the button, or do you have more? Because for dumb sets there also needs to be an AMP board to go with it. With leads, so let us know if all you have is the button.
Ken
KEN

Jim Stettler

I would try it in series with one side of the transmitter receiver. If that doesn't work then I would check with the TCI library.
My input,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

How is that going to increase the receiver volume?
Sorry, I'm not understanding how putting it across the transmitter is going to do anything. Can you enlighten me?
Edit: it looks to be just a button used to adjust the receiver volume. When connected to an accompanying amplifier, wired into the dial for power and receiver.
KEN

TxRattler

Ok, guys, I'm a complete noobe on this, and I'll open the phone and look into it. I appreciate the fast replies, and will get my feet wet! :)

HarrySmith

Pictures of the insides would probably be helpful.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yes pictures would be great.
But I had a question, did you just buy the button, like on eBay?
Because if you bought it with the idea of just connecting to your phone it won't really work.
Reason is, if for some reason it's a smart set ie with a smart board installed, chance's are you could connect it to the dial chassis. Because a lot of those had amps built into the assembly. But again, model of chassis, and the dial chassis (upper housing) will aid help in connections.
And BTW, I don't have information on that.
But also as mentioned, there is a board that mounts in the housing and is wired into the dial assembly then the board.
But no amp no use to try. EBay sells the whole thing, you just need to look. If you don't know what to look for, I can find something and let you know. They come with instructions on how to connect.
Hope this helps.
KEN

Payphone installer

It's way more complex then what you have in you hand. You need to know what kind of set you have for starters and then what kind of volume control kit fits it. I can tell what you have in your hand is for some kind of smart set. It is basically worthless. Start with finding out what kind of phone you have.

Key2871

My thoughts exactly Jim. I've seen those on eBay for around twenty bucks. But I know that it's used in smart sets, but with an amplifier in say a D set it could be used.
But I get the feeling that he has nothing of the sort in his phone. But I did find a "universal" one that is switchable between C or D sets. Providing that is what he has.
KEN

robert_m

Yeap clear depnd on GUTs if a protel board, theirs specific wireing that need done - I suspect it it protel mbased on outside, but no idea.  payphone_installer very knolegeable of frotel sets in WE housings.

rcourtney

If a standard Western Electric board you need the amplifier board.

rcourtney

FYI: button top right screw terminals on amp board.