News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 3 slot payphone lock question

Started by Jf510, December 19, 2017, 11:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I just bought another Western Electric 3 slot payphone. The upper housing is locked with no key. I have a payphone that uses a 29s with a master 29S key but it won't fit. I also bought for another payphone a key from ebay a 10 H&G key which works fine for that phone.  I tried it on the new phone. It goes in ok but only turns 45 degree and will not turn all the way. Is there other keys? I thought between the two keys I have I had it covered. I hate to drill it out. I know those locks are not easy to find. Any ideas? Thanks

Payphone installer

I assume that since it turns half way it is probably a 10G. You can tell the key by the keyway 21B or 29S or 10G older 10G locks the key way is thinner and the locks are more particular. These locks have a dimple in the middle. But if the key went in and turned half way it sounds like the lock bolt may be bent. So if that is the case it becomes how much. I would lay  it on the floor and step on it pushing the upper housing in towards the back board then turn the key and see if it opens. If that does not work take two screw drivers slip one under the upper housing lip just a little and create a gap. Cut a couple pieces of plastic milk bottle and use them as protectors when you insert a second screw drive and pry the top up and off. Then you have the lock and you can restore the bolt if it is bent sometimes. If you damage the top or backboard they are dirt cheap compared to a lock then you  switch out the parts.

Jf510

I will try that thanks..the key does not turn 1/2 but 1/4 so if the bottom of the key is at 6 on a clock it stops at 9. Do you think it's still the right key but stuck? I just didn't want to force the key any farther. Thanks.

trainman

trainman

If its a three slot, and not mounted to a backboard, simple take the back off by unscrewing the screws from the lower housing.

Jf510

Hi..I am not sure what you mean by the backboard. I removed all the screws in the back and nothing moved.

trainman

If all the screws are out, the lower half should seperate from the back, and the top can can off.

Jf510

I play with it again and it did separate and come apart. I never thought it would do that. The lock is a 10 H so my key should of worked but when I took the lock out it looks a little too bent and the weld near where the part of the lock goes in and out looks sloppy. The lock doesn't work at all. I will try to play with it but I think it's bad. Thanks again for your help.