News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"hammer" painted 302~ plus I lost a finger stop!

Started by Pourme, January 25, 2018, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I like that idea. It looks more organized than my zip locks. I have thought about using a plastic box large enough to keep the entire phone in it until the project is finished. I would get the phone out to work on it and put it back in the box until it's finished. This way I wouldn't have pieces of five phones lying around on the work bench for days or weeks at a time. I will look at boxes like you have in stores as I shop. Thanks for showing me what you use!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

I've found fishing tackle boxes at Walmart to meet some of my needs for capacitors and resistors. Walmart hobby section also has plastic "bin" type parts holders. I would guess Hobby Lobby would as well but at a bit more in price. Home Depot sells larger organizers for nuts and bolts and small tool parts - you can see I've explored the market. I'm sure hardware stores and other places also have them. The hardest part if finding the size and partitions in the size that meets your needs. Not at all expensive for the service they provide.

RotarDad

Benny - BTW your hammered 302 really looks great!  Another thing I usually do is to work on subsassembies to fit in the timeblock I have available if at all possible.  I try to never leave a dial apart if I can avoid it, for example.  With a 500, the base/net/ringer gets restored in one sitting, then the dial in another sitting, then the shell, and then the handset.  Finally perhaps the cords.  While I'm working the handset and cords, the base is all buttoned up.  Can't always do this, but it reduces risk of damage and lost parts.   But then a screw slips out of my fingers and bounces under the workbench........
Paul

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on January 25, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
I've found fishing tackle boxes at Walmart to meet some of my needs for capacitors and resistors. Walmart hobby section also has plastic "bin" type parts holders. I would guess Hobby Lobby would as well but at a bit more in price. Home Depot sells larger organizers for nuts and bolts and small tool parts - you can see I've explored the market. I'm sure hardware stores and other places also have them. The hardest part if finding the size and partitions in the size that meets your needs. Not at all expensive for the service they provide.

Harbor Freight also comes to mind as a place to look for containers at a good price.

Quote from: RotarDad on January 25, 2018, 11:50:42 PM
Benny - BTW your hammered 302 really looks great!  Another thing I usually do is to work on subsassembies to fit in the timeblock I have available if at all possible.  I try to never leave a dial apart if I can avoid it, for example.  With a 500, the base/net/ringer gets restored in one sitting, then the dial in another sitting, then the shell, and then the handset.  Finally perhaps the cords.  While I'm working the handset and cords, the base is all buttoned up.  Can't always do this, but it reduces risk of damage and lost parts.   But then a screw slips out of my fingers and bounces under the workbench........

Thanks for the complement. I thought I was fairly well organized,but it's clear I have room for improvement. Phoneitis was diagnosed two years ago this month, when I joined the forum. Prior to that my phone collection was in it's 'curiosity' stage. I had collected a few pieces but had no idea of the level of restoration that was possible on my simple work bench through techniques detailed on this forum. Organization and execution will get more focus in the days and weeks ahead. Thanks for sharing what you have learned.

This could be a idea for a new thread, focusing on tips on originational tools and execution on the work bench in order to make ourselves more efficient and effective in the time we spend on our hobby, repairing and restoring phones. 

I'm STILL going to drop that tiny screw and listen for clues as to which direction it bounced and spend time on hands and knees with my handy flashlight!...There's another useful suggestion: Keep a small flashlight handy on work bench!

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

Closest Harbor Freight is 20 miles so don't get there much.

Was in Home Depot today buying something else and saw a stack of these in the front display area. Two 15 compartment boxes for $9.88 plus tax was too good to pass up. $5 each is cheap compared to others I've seen elsewhere.

Pourme

Those are good. I have one similar to that I use to store my various connectors in. $5 is a deal!
Benny

skyrider

I bought a dozen of those Home Depot cases right before Christmas and my wife and daughters have claimed most of them. Should have hid them in the store room.

Bill