"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE - E1 Handset Spitcup Damage

Started by Fennec, May 15, 2017, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

Hello:

I have an E1 handset with a seamless spitcup, that has a damage on the very edge. The bakelite has shattered there, three bigger pieces got re-glued to the rest of the cup, but some of the sliver thin ones are missing.

Question I have - what method would be preferred to rebuild the missing part? I have heard that Bondo black car body putty was used by some with success. Any other suggestions that might work better? Or is this cup not worth saving, and I need to get a replacement (ex. http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/e1-handset-seamless-spitcup-mouthpiece-reproduction.html) ?

Opinions and advice appreciated.

Dmitri

rdelius

You can make tape dams to hold in the resen or what ever you mended it with.I repaired many back at COT.follow with sanding and polishing.a large sanding drum is helpfull inside

TelePlay

Quote from: Fennec on May 15, 2017, 09:35:57 PM
Opinions and advice appreciated.

This is one of several related Bakelite repair topics on the forum. This one has good images of the dam, what to use and how to do it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3690.msg48911#msg48911

Fennec

Quote from: TelePlay on May 16, 2017, 01:59:24 AM
This is one of several related Bakelite repair topics on the forum. This one has good images of the dam, what to use and how to do it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3690.msg48911#msg48911

Excellent link, thank you! This topic did not come up in the search that I have done. I will try to save the part - the chip I have is relatively small, so with some patience I might be able to "heal" the original cup.

markosjal

I would use Plasti loka. In this case there is another brand that I have seen that is black (PlastiLoka is Green).  Maybe I saw it in Home Depot. Basically it is an epoxy that you can form like clay and hardens after being formed.

You can make or repair most anything with this stuff it is amazing. I had some broken suspension parts on a radio controlled car and it was repaired over 5 years ago with Plasti Loka and still going strong. It is stronger than the original plastic.

In fact I might remember one place I have seen it in black and will stop by there tomorrow and see if I can get the brand name.

Mark de Leon

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

I did eBay and Google searches for Plasti Loka and it only shows up in the UK. However, I did find a two part hardening putty in the US named Milliput and made by Milliput.

https://www.amazon.com/Milliput-Medium-2-Part-Hardening-Putty/dp/B002CSX7Z8

Seems to be similar except Milliput comes in several colors with the color indicating the grade of the putty from standard to superfine:

"Milliput is a two-part, cold setting, non shrinking epoxy putty sold in cartons containing 113.4gm. One 56.7gm stick of each part. We produce five grades of Milliput: 1) Standard (Yellow/Grey), 2) Terracotta, 3) Silver Grey, 4) Black and 5) Superfine White."

Think this is the same as Plasti Loka? I can see quite a few uses for the black (fine) grade.

markosjal

By the way, I stopped to help a guy on the highway a couple months ago, south of Puerto Vallarta. There is not much there. He was broken down with obviously a hole in his oil pan. He asked me if I had oil, and I told him to look on the ground that adding more would do no good.

We gave him and his wife a ride into town and I suggested to him that if he could find the hole (probably in oil pan) he patch it with Plasti Loka (aka Plasti Loca in come countries) and let it harden. Return the next day with oil and fill it up. I left him and his wife in town in town .

Two days later I ran into the same guy now driving his car in Puerto Vallarta. He was elated to see me and went on about how well it worked. He got the car into town and got a new oil pan installed. 

Just goes to show You can do anything with Plasti Loca!

markosjal

TelePlay

Thanks! I did find the Magic Sculpt but being in cans, I ignored it. Was just looking for something in sticks similar to Pasti Loka.

I did get a lot of hits on Google in Spanish and a few out of the UK so it appears to be available as Plasti Loka outside the US.

The 10 commandments of epoxy putty were great. Says it all.

markosjal

I have been sick but promise that when I am well enough I will stop in to a sore where I think I saw the black and see what the brand name is on it. It is not Plasti Loka rather a different brand.

tallguy58

I've used the fibreglass resin method and found it to be relatively easy to do. The results were fantastic.
Cheers........Bill

markosjal

Here is what I found

markosjal

This DEVCON black colored product is the same that is sold in small tubs. My guess is if they have the small tubs nearby Ill bet they have the sticks. Try Home Depot

dlvh

Quote from: markosjal on June 15, 2017, 08:17:31 PM
This DEVCON black colored product is the same that is sold in small tubs. My guess is if they have the small tubs nearby Ill bet they have the sticks. Try Home Depot

Did anyone find this at the Depot, or another store?

markosjal

Quote from: dlvh on August 31, 2017, 06:10:04 PM
Did anyone find this at the Depot, or another store?

Here is a guess.. Try Walmart, as the store that stocks this in Mexico is owned by Walmart.

If you can not get any in black i could get a coule packages on a mule (someone who goes on a plane to US from Mexico) and in the US Postal Service but wont be fast.

Soon I will probably post some photos  and information about plastic reinforcements that I have done on AE Sylelines and WE Princess phones with these products. Both of those models seem to break consistently in the same areas.

I have also done things like restore a post that was used to secure a dial in an AE Styleline. The styleline was in great condition but the dial mounts on three posts and one was broken.I rebullt it with guess what? Plasti Loka!