News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is it? Is it? A GALION?

Started by FABphones, April 08, 2018, 12:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Nice! Great dial card & nickel fingerwheel. Now you just need to find a straight line ringer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks HS, no chance of finding anything for it over here, will I be able to use it as is?

Is the nickel fingerwheel correct for this phone? Hope so, I won't be able to change anything out.

(I blanked out the number in the middle of the dial card just in case it is still someones number).

Quote from: mentalstampede on April 08, 2018, 01:52:12 PM
Hopefully you end up with a nice one. Keep us posted!

Thank you but I don't know, is it a nice one (this is the only Galion I've ever seen but seems good to me)?

- - - - - - -
My initial questions, if anyone can help:

Why does the back of the dial say made in USA? No Canadian dials?

How old is it approximately, May 1948?

Is it an early/mid/late Galion?

The 2 pins on that plug - is that correct or are there 2 missing from the other side?

And please point out anything else you spot, good or bad.

I've done its first clean up, so today it's on day 1 of it's '3 Day Beauty Oil Treatment'  ;)  I'll post another pic when it has had its massage!  :D

Thanks again for any info.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

It is an AE dial. Automatic Electric. Made in Illinois, Chicago or Northlake, depending on the year. The only date I can see is on the element from the handset, thay look like Western Electric elements, not sure if that is normal on these. I am not all that familiar with North sets. Probably someone here can give you a better idea of the time it was made. I do not know what your ringing frequency is over there, it may ring as is or you may need to add a capacitor. Again, maybe one of our european wiring experts can chime in. The plug originally had 4 pins, may be broken.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

That is a North Electric H-Series, often called a "Galion", and it appears to be in very nice condition.  These phones often have a date stamp on the inside of the base, near the end of the terminal strip.  there should also be a date stamp on the induction coil.

You should  be able to use this phone in the UK, but the ringer is a frequency ringer, so it probably won't ring.  I don't know exactly what is happening in your plug, but the red and green wires in the cord should go the the phone line on one end and terminals L1 and L2 in the phone.

The dial is all normal for this phone.  They were fitted with a variety of dials in the real world.

Enjoy you phone!

Larry

FABphones

Here it is all cleaned up. Only hand buffed and it came up with a really nice shine. Am very pleased.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

That looks great - well done!

HarrySmith

Looks Great! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

The long awaited "Galion"! Congratulations! It looks great! Worth the wait!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

paul-f

Very nice!

The H-series has an elegant look that few other desk sets can match.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Nick in Manitou

Hey Fab!

It looks great!

Did you find a date on the base or the induction coil?

Nick

WEBellSystemChristian

Beautiful job...certainly looks nicer than mine!

Very elegant looking! 8)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

oldguy

Looks amazing, congratulations.
Gary

LarryInMichigan

If someone is looking to enhance their collection with one of these, they might want to check out the really cheap one on ebay now: ebay link.

Larry

Pourme

It has a straight line ringer too!

Says make offer....

I have 3...someone needs to get this one!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan