News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302G on Etsy.com

Started by Nick in Manitou, January 23, 2013, 09:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

I am not sure if there is a prohibition against mentioning things that are currently available for sale on the internet, so I figured I'd ask...(and tell about a phone I am trying NOT to buy...)

There is currently a 5302G on Etsy.com that is listed as a 53602G (?) for $25.

It looks good to me, but as I am way behind with the phones I already have on hand (thanks to Jim S.) I am trying not to buy another phone at this time...(trying!)

So...I figured I'd mention this phone on the forum so that someone else would purchase it and I would not be able to buy it myself.

If I am violating etiquette by mentioning this item on the forum, please let me know!

Thanks,
Nick 

Sargeguy

I think that rule of thumb applies to auctions, and only those auctions that haven't been "discovered" yet.  Part of the fun of buying items on eBay etc. is finding hidden bargains.  You find something you want and either put a placeholder bid on it, or add it to your Watch list, and hope that there aren't many other bidders competing for the same item.  If an auction has several bids then there's no harm, but if an item is a sleeper the person who is the only bidder might get annoyed if you, as someone who has no intention of bidding on the phone, broadcasts it to a bunch of other potential buyers.  Example:  If a phone is advertised as "Rare Mediterranean Blue Western Electric 500P with fat grey cords" in the 1940-1969 section of eBay and features 20 detailed photos on Auctiva, then posting about it is probably not going to get anyone's nose out of joint because it is going to be seen by many collectors.   If the same phone showed up listed as "Anteek Fone" in the "Household Items" section with one blurry but identifiable iPhone photo and a high bid of $1.04 with 8 hours to go ending a t 4am EST on a Tuesday, then the other people who found it might get a little miffed if you posted a link on the forum.  I spend hours scouring eBAy for bargains and rarities.  When one of these items is "outed" and some deep pocketed whale bids it up out of my range soon afterwards, it can be frustrating.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Sargeguy,

Thanks for the explanation.  I knew that sometime things that were for sale on eBay would get discussed, and then, sometimes, someone would say something about not wanting to mention something that was currently on offer.

Now I understand.

AE_Collector

Sargeguy

Then of course there is the process of auction poaching.  

This is pretty rare but it has happened to me at least once, I am pretty sure.  An auction ended for a phone with a rare/valuable component.  I thought I had an incredible bargain, paid immediately but soon after I receive a refund and an excuse that sorry, the item is no longer available, there was a mistake, etc.  This was around the time there were several similar auctions that were being manipulated by straw bidders with 0 feedback but numerous bid retractions.  This was happening for auctions where I was the seller as well as the bidder.  I even compared notes with seller to whom this was happening and warned them of the practice.  I would get a BIN offer followed by someone or two straw bidders jacking the price up really high, then withdrawing the bids at the last minute so that the guy who offered the BIN would win.  I suspect this guy  contacted the seller of the item I won and made him a better offer on my phone once he found out what the final price was.  Now I don't post eBay bargains until I see the item has shipped.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

newskeeto

If it is this one, I just bought it!  It is the first phone I have ever bought on the internet and also my first 5302.

Sargeguy

Nice!  I had to restrain myself.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I have two 5302s, and I really like them.  To me they look like baby 500s.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Newskeeto,

That's the one!  I am glad that it went to someone on the forum.

southernphoneman

i was new to collecting of vintage phones. i did not know what a 5302 even was. i thought i was buying a 500. when i got the phone it looked different from the 500.i called someone about it and they said it was a 5302.this was a definite accidental purchase, but a good one. after doing extensive repairs to it it works perfectly.

Nick in Manitou

SouthernPhoneMan,

Sounds as though you are off to a good start with an interesting phone!

Have fun!

Greg G.

I like the F1 handset better than the G1 on a 5302.  Makes it more unique looking.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

southernphoneman

hi brinybay, i agree, my 5302 came with the g 1 and that is one of the repairs that i made on it. it got replaced with an f 1 and i like it alot more. i did not think that i would at first.

AE40FAN

I remember the first few 5302's I ever saw on eBay.  I always thought they were W.E. frankenphones...I guess in a way they kinda are...