News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trouble uploading pictures.

Started by Greg G., April 07, 2014, 01:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Lately I've been having trouble posting on the forum when I have several pictures attached.  I take care to make sure the pics aren't overly large.  I crop them down if needed and then usually reduce the size to 1/3 of the original size to bring it to standard internet size, about 600X800, unless there's a reason to show them in larger size, but even then, 50% of the original size usually suffices.  When I click on Post, it goes through an "uploading" process, then sits there.  Sometimes if I walk away and come back, it has posted, but most of the time it doesn't. 

It never used to do that.  I'm wondering if anybody else is having the same problem or if it's something on my end.

Disregard, I think I found the problem.  One of the pics I was trying to upload was not re-sized, it was a whopping 4000X3000.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Briny,

You were fortunate in that you could figure it out and fix it. I was uploading one of those spreadsheets to an auction contest one day which was about that size. It was the only image and the size of it locked up the whole page. Page 2 could not be accessed. Fortunately, Dennis was able to go in and delete my attempted post. Nothing was lost from the page. Downsized the spreadsheet to 1000 by 1500 and it loaded just fine. This forum does not like large photos. I think it was DavePEI who determined a reasonable sized photo would be about 500 kbytes. He, and a few others, have posted topics about that.

Size can vary depending upon on other photo parameters (72 vs 300 dpi, for example) including the amount of loss allowed when saving it as a jpeg. I think the forum software won't even allow a bmp photo which are always very large. When large photos do upload, they also take a loooooooooong time load on the screen when opening a page. Unless a larger photo is needed to show very fine detail, a 750 by 1000 jpeg is just fine, and about 430 kbytes in size. Cropping out the over shoot to show just the item being posted is another way to keep the size down. Just stuff I've found posting a lot of pictures into the auction contests. Nothing more than a few words of advice from past experiences.