News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 500 wont ring

Started by carl, July 13, 2009, 08:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Okay,here we go again...I picked this up a few days ago and was feeling great until I found that this unit wouldn't ring.Taking the
cover off,I noticed that the black wire was disconnected and taped over.Simple I thought..just place the black wire over the other
screws until the phone rings...no such luck.I placed it over all the screws and still no ringing.It does have a strong dial tone and now
I find myself back here asking for help.Oh yes,it actually did ring when I was changing some wires but try as I might,I can't seem to
duplicate the positions.I've attached two pics  of the works and hope this helps to solve yet another problem too complex for my worn out mind.Thanks again,Carl

Dan/Panther

Move black wire to where green wire is connected. Yellow wire not really necessary.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Carl, that red wire from the mounting cord doesn't look like it's under the screw.  Make sure that is under the screw along with the red wire from the ringer----in addition to moving the black wire from the ringer that Dan mentioned.

carl

Finally,I realized just what black wire you were talking about,and transferred the thicker black one to the green wires.I also tightened
all the wires too,so thanks to both of you,I'm now enjoying listening to that nostalgic ringing from both of these phones...for some
reason my wife is not! Thanks again,Carl NYC

Dan/Panther

Carl;
Sorry I should have been more specific.
Right now you have a more pressing serious problem though. It looks like it's going to come down to the phones or your wife.

Vintage phones are getting rare, nagging wifes are plentiful.
You do the math... :o ;D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 15, 2009, 01:21:57 PM
Vintage phones are getting rare, nagging wifes are plentiful.
You do the math... :o ;D
D/P

One of the guys on the radio show forum has this as his signature: "How to tell which is a better friend, your wife or your dog:  Put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour.  When you open the trunk, which one is happy to see you?"
= DARRIN =

carl

Hi again...this time I am able to report that I actually got my newest model 500 to ring, by again following your instructions,as in
thick black wire onto green.When I did this and then checked it there was no ring....But on jiggling the ringer itself I loosened it from
years of non use and voila! success on the first try! Again,thanks so much for your guidance.This model says 11-51 on it and has
a steel dialer as well as the old phone number starting with area code 516 for Long Island,followed by two letters and a number,
placing it way back then.Thanks again,Carl NYC

Dan

Can you post any pictures of your 1951? I love the early ones
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

carl

Sure..here's a pic of it and also one from I'm not sure but it says 1939 on it. Carl NY

Phonesrfun

That model phone was not designed until 1949 and not even available until 1950 at the earliest.  1939 must refer to something else.
-Bill G

Jester

Bill,
Maybe that's a 5302 built on a 1939 base?  That looks like a 3" dial w/ the plastic number ring around it to me.
Stephen

carl

I'm sure you're right,as the 1939 date appears inside on one of the parts and I figure it was used with the later models.I'ts quite
a popular conversation piece.I had had some trouble getting it to ring but found the answer to the problem thanks to this site.
Carl

carl

You're right.It does say 5302 on it. Do you know when it was first used? It also does ring a little differently,as it rings once when a
call comes in,then rings normally.Carl

rp2813

I can't comment on the ring pattern but if that 5302 has a 1939 date on it, that's when it was first used.  But its first use would have been as a 302.   Once the 500 was introduced, two things happened.  Demand quickly exceeded supply, and rural subscribers wanted a more modern looking phone just like the city dwellers who were lucky to get 500's issued to them.  The early 500's couldn't match the transmission quality of a 302 over long lines, so those two situations prompted the development of the 5302.  The 5302 kept the same chassis as the 302 and modernized the look with a case similar to, but not identical to that of the 500.  In the beginning the 5302's all had the earlier F1 handset, and indeed that seems to be the more common one found on the 5302's still existing out there today.  Your 5302 ended up with a G1 handset, either straight from the factory or sometime later during its deployment.  The date inside the case may offer a clue as to when it was reincarnated.

That 5302 of yours is a very handsome phone, and I am particularly envious that it sits on a 1939 chassis.  That is basically my ideal 5302.  The average non-collector would peg that phone to be about 30 years newer than it is.  The guts, anyway.  Take good care of it Carl.  That one is a real keeper.  But feel free to contact me if you ever want to part with it!

Ralph
Ralph

Dan

I second what Ralph says. I have a 5302 with a F1 handset, and am always on the prowl to 'complete " the 5302 blacks with a G1 handset
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright