"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1543W-K circa 1963 info wanted

Started by migette, January 30, 2011, 05:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

migette

Dear all

Having just done another sort out in my loft I came across the above phone which I thought I had lost many years ago having been purchased back in the 70's.

I have had a look through various entries on the forum which have lead to even more confusion than before. My main questions are would the phone have had a bell as there appears to be no holes in the base to allow the sound to come out as I did notice on one entry that there were holes for this to happen and what significance is the W-K? Also over the years the finger wheel has been broken, are these available does anyone know and if so should I post a wanted ad in the relevant part of the forum?

The dial also has the finger stop at the 5 o' clock position.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Peter

Jim Stettler

Peter,
That is a conversion cover for the 1543. There are some threads about that.

A 1543 has cut corners. They have a neat look. The conversion kit came out to make them look like a "modern" 500 set. It is the same concept as WE's 5302 sets

The conversion  Phone is scarcer. There are collectors who collect these sets.
I am interested in it if you were wanting to sell or trade.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

migette

Hi Jim, I had no idea it was a convertion unit, that's why I could not understand why it had not got the chopped off corners, were the dials the same. Originally this was bought from Conversation Pieces, a very good dealer in Cheltenham UK in the late 60's, as I had always wanted an American (500type) but wondered why it did not fit the pictures seen in an ITT catalog, at that time I was disappointed, also it had no ringer. From what you have said, it appears it was a very good deal don't know what I gave for it. If I get another one you will have first refusal, I tend to collect one of a type, but this is not always the case, Princesses and lookalikes have crept in.  Peter

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

migette

Hi Jim, I had no idea of these conversions, here this practice did not happen as the GPO had sole rights to the telephone system. For me it adds interest and will now be aware of these and look out for them on auction sites. Thanks again Jim. Also that the customers done these conversions.  Peter

Dennis Markham

Peter, here are a couple I picked up along the way.  This first link shows one in Red and Pink.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2461.15

The second link is one I bought last week off eBay.  All are conversions and marked 1543.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3722.0

migette

Thanks Dennis this has shown beyond doubt that is what I have got even to the corrosion around the four feet, also the base is identical with no holes where the ringer gongs are   Peter