News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please help me identify the model and year of my phone.

Started by hotrodjohn71, January 15, 2016, 01:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodjohn71

Hello Group,
I am amazed by this terrific forum! Thank you for permission to participate.
I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what model our Western Electric 3 slot payphone is.
It is able to receive calls but because my phone service provider, the pulse dialing is apparently not recognized which is discouraging to us since we would like to be able to dial out.

I would like to know which model it is so I can study to see which parts are missing.

When we drop a nickel in, we get one ding, when we drop a dime, we get 2 dings, but when we drop a quarter, we get kind of a clang sound. I haven't done any lubrication or cleaning of the unit.

I built a red English phone booth from some plans online and mounted the phone inside. I realize the phone and booth are not a correct match, but it was a present for my wife and she likes it.

Thanks

Stan S

Hello

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your payphone is a modern creation made up of various manufacturers parts. This includes Automatic Electric Inc. and ITT. There are no original Western Electric parts in the phone.
The bottom although embossed Western Electric was never made by them. It is a reproduction part, as is the back casting.

The payphone appears to be a standard reproduction catalog item sold by Phoneco Inc.
There website is www.phonecoinc.com

Wish I had better news for you.
Stan S

hotrodjohn71

Hi Stan,
Thanks for your response. No bad news taken here :) we love the phone even if it is a repop.
Thanks for clarifying this. I'm not interested in value as it won't be for.sale, but thanks for the info about PhoneCo.

John

Buzby

Hi John,

Got nothing on the payphone, but would love to see some pictures of your home built phone box. It looks good!

Jonathan

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

hotrodjohn71

Hi Brinybay,
Thanks for the link to the forum discussion regarding the pulse to tone devices. I think I will go with the Dialgizmo when I get a few bucks. I am hoping it will work with this ATT U-verse Voip system I have whereas apparently some do not acording to my research.

I built the phone booth from free plans I found online here: http://www.buildeazy.com/red-english-booth-1.html   The Plans are very comprehensive but it took a long time and much effort to make.

Again, This is a great group and a great forum. Its an honor.

Nick in Manitou

Fun Faux Fhonebox!  Well done!

Nick

xhausted110

Quote from: hotrodjohn71 on January 15, 2016, 01:29:19 AM
Hello Group,
I am amazed by this terrific forum! Thank you for permission to participate.
I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what model our Western Electric 3 slot payphone is.
It is able to receive calls but because my phone service provider, the pulse dialing is apparently not recognized which is discouraging to us since we would like to be able to dial out.

I would like to know which model it is so I can study to see which parts are missing.

When we drop a nickel in, we get one ding, when we drop a dime, we get 2 dings, but when we drop a quarter, we get kind of a clang sound. I haven't done any lubrication or cleaning of the unit.

I built a red English phone booth from some plans online and mounted the phone inside. I realize the phone and booth are not a correct match, but it was a present for my wife and she likes it.

Thanks

The "clang" sound is normal for a 3-slot. That's what the quarter is supposed to sound like.
- Evan

hotrodjohn71