News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2017 - A Phone Oddity

Started by TelePlay, January 11, 2017, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Okay, I'm outing this phone. Listed about 12 hours ago, I'm the only watcher, missing a handset cord, power cord is cut and certainly is not an antique telephone, it is different and I thought about pulling the trigger on it but the shipping is $10 too high for me.

Never seen this design before but having had a early 1950s car, it kind of reminds me of that, and it would look good on my back, center desk. But I'm passing.

Anyone want it, great. Rather see this go to a forum member with cross interests than some other place  . . .      ::)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Radio-and-Rotary-phone-/122307223553

twocvbloke

It's one of them things that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, a phone, a clock, a radio or the centre-console for a classic car...  :o

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 11, 2017, 06:50:53 AM
It's one of them things that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, a phone, a clock, a radio or the centre-console for a classic car...  :o

That's good!

While being that, I guess you could call this equivalent to a Swiss Army Knife. I guess that's why it caught my attention. One item that can do almost anything . . .  ;)

twocvbloke

Nah, it's not a swiss army knife, it lacks the little tool for removing stones from a horse's hoof...  ;D

andre_janew

For me, the shipping is $18.70.  This may not be an antique.  It is certainly looks like one.  That may be why it is listed that way. 

Made in China. They have all the cool ideas.

andre_janew

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on January 11, 2017, 01:06:49 PM
For me, the shipping is $18.70.  This may not be an antique.  It is certainly looks like one.  That may be why it is listed that way.

No, this is not an antique. It may be considered a bit rare in that while it was available on Amazon, it is now out of stock so if out of productions, used items are rare but not antique.

Conair is a current company making look alike old phones in many styles. eBay is full of Conair phones. They are easy to spot.

One of these in working condition sold for $70 plus shipping in 2014 being described as "Conair metropolis phone Single Line Corded Phone Alarm Radio Clock Model # TCR 300 in good condition works good $70"

Worthpoint described a similar phone sold on Etsy as "Up for sale is a RARE Black Conair Metropolis phone with integral clock and radio made in the spirit of, and to celebrate the many Batman movies we have enjoyed over the years. � While it is a collectible, the phone has modern features such as redial, flash dial, ringer select, and others. � The clock has an alarm on it that can be changed and it also has a snooze button. � The radio is an old style dial tuning to select the � channel you want to listen to. � It has a great look to it and would be a great fit for any man cave or study! � There is not one like it on Ebay and is hard to find elsewhere. � This may be your only chance to see (or own) one like this for some time. � Please feel free to make offers.The product in the pictures provided is the actual product you will receive � and is a collectible combination phone, clock, & radio made in the spirit of the "Metropolis" in the Batman movies. � The condition is good with only a few scratches on the handset." and yes, it does not have a tool to remove rocks from a horse's hoof/shoe.

I still find this junk attractive for some reason but just can't get over the shipping. Maybe it's the black in that my 1950s car was black.  ;)

Here is a current Conair production with  the handset and dial pad but without all the radio, clock, compass doo dads.

andre_janew

I usually don't connect Metropolis with Batman.  I usually connect Metropolis with Superman and Gotham City with Batman.