News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Chicago Ivory AE40

Started by Doug Rose, February 24, 2014, 06:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got this on the cheap yesterday on eBay. I think this is my eighth Ivory paint by Old Chicago. The paint they used is amazing? This will clean up fantastic.

Robbie is it just brass on the bands, finger wheel and the carrier that will shine up? You did great work. I can't wait to get it....thanks...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151234264489
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I think I saw that one, but I passed because I thought the paint was a Krylon job. I also don't much care for AS, let it go to someone who will really appreciate it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rdelius

We used car paint on those.Has the custom brass bands also.Needs a good repolish though.Somebody lost money on this

Dennis Markham

Looks nice, Doug.  I have a Red one that is supposed to be an Old Chicago paint job.  I've been considering listing it on ebay.  But I had hoped that it was worth more than $33. 

~Dennis

JorgeAmely

Sir, you have a red AE40? Pictures???
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, I will post a photo or two of the Red AE 40 as soon as possible.

Doug Rose

I received the Ivory  AE 40 today. Robbie you guys did great work. A few minor chips in the paint. This is just outstanding. I did a fast cleanup while I still had light. It was really a mess and cleaned up great with a little brasso. I took a layer of grime off the paint. It changed color before my eyes.

I am looking for a brass carry handle.

I am also looking for a real AE dial style dial card. I have plenty of WEs, but never a nice AE when I need it.

Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

What a terrific cleanup, Doug! Who knew the paint was completely unfaded?!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Doug, your phone look great.  After looking closely at the one I have (Red) and yours, they look like they came from the same place.  Attached is a group of 4 photos.  All I did was buff this up a bit after I acquired it.  I didn't even put any polish on it and it looks pretty good.  The cordage, is more of a flat cord than the round style we normally see.  As with yours, there are a couple of nicks, but it "presents well" as collectors like to say.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Dennis....stunning. The flat cordage was definitely Old Chicago. Robbie had commented on it before, although I never saw them do anything but Ivory. Robbie will know for sure.

If you can't have the real thing, yours a a real close second! Gorgeous!!....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Most of the times we used modern plastic flat cords covered with cloth.It would have been difficult to give a warrenty with old cords.Red set is Chicago also.Note the custom handset bands.It was difficult to find good platers

Dennis Markham

Thanks Doug, and Robbie.  It's nice to know that it was in fact an Old Chicago Telephone paint job and refurbishment.  Just out of curiosity, back in the day, how much money would it take to buy one of those Red phones?

JorgeAmely

It is drop dead gorgeous. Enjoy it sir.
Jorge

rdelius

I do not remember the pricing but the bands on the handset were sometimes an extra charge.I think the sets were $200+.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: rdelius on February 27, 2014, 10:04:32 AM
I do not remember the pricing but the bands on the handset were sometimes an extra charge.I think the sets were $200+.

Thank you.