News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oxblood Kellogg Wall Phone

Started by Doug Rose, April 02, 2015, 06:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on eBay last week in the wrong catergory, I just happened to be watching the seller. This has just been wiped of with Hiowards wax and the wax has not been removed. I let it sit overnight. This is much more a reddish-brown than the standard brown Kellogg. NO chips cracks or missing pieces with that great big thick Kellogg Cloth cord. Check it out with the Black SC in the pic for reference. I am very happy with this...Doug
Kidphone

Jon Kolger

Very nice find Doug!  I've never seen these earlier Kelloggs in any color other than brown and mottled brown.  Later on, the so-called Redbar series were made in several other colors.  I'll bet this phone was a special order of some sort.

Doug Rose

thanks Jon....I am really thrilled with it. I could never find a good one in black without damage and then I found this. This was just dirty from sitting on a shelf for 50+ years. I will post finished pictures today. ....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Market is closed for Easter, so I have a free phone play day! Here is the finshed Kellogg, mounted in the Phone Room. Base is wood and might be an after market. Its is in really nice shape but I had to drill to mount it, either that or remove it and I like the looks of it on. Dark gloomy day in New England, so these are the best pics I could get....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Is there a type number on it?

It has the biased ringer (116-G ?), so it should be a  9900-BAX.

Doug Rose

Karl...I didn't find any, probably under the wood mount. I have it mounted now with the wood mount. I have reached out to the seller who is a long time collector to see if he has any ideas on the mount...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 03, 2015, 03:28:02 PM
Karl...I didn't find any, probably under the wood mount. I have it mounted now with the wood mount. I have reached out to the seller who is a long time collector to see if he has any ideas on the mount...Doug

That's ok. I am pretty sure it's 9900-BAX, which is on my wish list.  This is the 900-series wall mount, made concurrently to the 900, 925, 950 type (Pyramid & Ashtray) desk phones, ca. late 30s to late 40s.

I think the brown Bakelite versions were probably made about the same time they still made brown 1000-type Select-O-Phones. I believe I saw a brown 9900 about the same time I got my Kellogg PBX. Perhaps it was a 9917, the dial version.

cloyd

Were the Kellogg 700, 900 & 925 made in any other colors?  I have only seen black until this oxblood color.
cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

savageje

Quote from: cloyd on May 28, 2015, 01:50:54 PM
Were the Kellogg 700, 900 & 925 made in any other colors?  I have only seen black until this oxblood color.
cloyd
I have a 700 in ivory which I am in the process of restoring from a horrific lamp phone conversion.  It is the only one I have ever seen other than black.

By the way, this oxblood color is very cool.  I missed this when it was originally posted.

Doug Rose

I remember you posting the Ivory 700 years ago. I always thought it would look great with a Kellogg Brown handset. Keep us posted on your refurb. It is a really tough phone...Doug
Kidphone