Main Menu

Nice Green Thermo WE 302 10/41

Started by Doug Rose, April 07, 2015, 07:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jon Kolger

I have to admit that I had completely forgotten about this blue prewar 302 selling on ebay.  It really does look great and Jim is doing a fantastic job of restoring it.  Ray Kotke could probably make a set of solid blue matching plungers for it, but the ones you have painted seem to match it quite well.  Most of the prewar colored 302s that I have seen have brown cords, although blue cords would look much nicer.  I'm jealous...

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jon Kolger on April 22, 2015, 05:43:11 PM
I have to admit that I had completely forgotten about this blue prewar 302 selling on ebay.  It really does look great and Jim is doing a fantastic job of restoring it.  Ray Kotke could probably make a set of solid blue matching plungers for it, but the ones you have painted seem to match it quite well.  Most of the prewar colored 302s that I have seen have brown cords, although blue cords would look much nicer.  I'm jealous...
I think Jim would trade for your blue AE34! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Most of the prewar colored 302s that I have seen have brown cords, ...

Does this include the painted metal sets you have found or seen?

The only painted metal sets I have noticed where either the metallic tones or ivory and old rose.  I do not recall having ever seen a prewar painted red, green, or blue one, despite them being listed in the 1939 catalog.

Jon Kolger

When I made that statement, I was referring to prewar colored plastic 302 sets.  I own a painted blue 302 and a painted ivory 302, but I don't know what the dates are on them.  I don't get all hung up on the dates, I just like them for what they are.  And no, I won't be trading my blue AE 34 anytime soon.

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on April 22, 2015, 06:20:36 PM
Most of the prewar colored 302s that I have seen have brown cords, ...

Does this include the painted metal sets you have found or seen?

The only painted metal sets I have noticed where either the metallic tones or ivory and old rose.  I do not recall having ever seen a prewar painted red, green, or blue one, despite them being listed in the 1939 catalog.

Recently a green-painted metal 302 of Q1 1939 appeared on eBay and sold for ca $212.

The paint was peeled off in large flat areas, somewhat untypical perhaps, because usually it is the cradle area that is worn the most, but was in better shape here, although the set appears original, with brown Bakelite groove-less handset, and originally green but heavily light bleached handset cord.  The dial seems marked I 39, matching the set, but the dial adapter doesn't seem as expected, it isn't visible in the usual places, only the rubber grommet are visible.  The original stainless-steel number card holder had been replaced with a black one.