News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Gold Plated? 302 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, August 04, 2020, 11:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

When eBay was just starting to be a force I remember these 24K Plated 302s making the rounds for over $500. They were cool looking but there were way too many phones I was finding in the New eBay Antique Store!  ;D

I have no idea if its gold plated, but it is a real nice. It was coated and was tough to remove. Entire phone is dated 9 38, even the 4H.

I swapped out the handset for a Brown F1 and a nice Ivory curly. I also added clear plungers and a III 38 numbers only dial plate.

This feels heavier than a normal metal 302

I need another 302  ::) but couldn't pass this up as it went cheaper than I expected....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I like it. Is it Bakelite or Metal under the gold finish?

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 04, 2020, 11:07:11 AM
...It was coated and was tough to remove...

Could you explain please. Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on August 04, 2020, 02:45:36 PM
I like it. Is it Bakelite or Metal under the gold finish?

Could you explain please. Thanks.
CJ... It is metal...all dates match 9 38. I was surprised to find a IV 38 4H as I had never seen one this late as the 5H was around in 37.

It looked like it was sealed to keep it shiny, but did the opposite, made it dull and streaky. Brasso and fine steel wool removed it.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 04, 2020, 03:58:59 PM
CJ... It is metal...all dates match 9 38. I was surprised to find a IV 38 4H as I had never seen one this late as the 5H was around in 37.
Latest original 4H I have seen is II 38. However, your dial is a 2A that was converted to a 4H: note the original W terminal next to BB has been restamped R. Also, dials from III 34 or later have parkerized cases rather than painted.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on August 04, 2020, 05:39:52 PM
Latest original 4H I have seen is II 38. However, your dial is a 2A that was converted to a 4H: note the original W terminal next to BB has been restamped R. Also, dials from III 34 or later have parkerized cases rather than painted.
thanks David....always a pleasure my friend....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 04, 2020, 03:58:59 PM

It looked like it was sealed to keep it shiny, but did the opposite, made it dull and streaky. Brasso and fine steel wool removed it.....Doug
Matching dates in my mind make me lean towards retirement set vs aftermarket rebuilder.
I typically lean towards these gold plates being after market sets. Matching dates make me lean towards factory.
It is a sharp set. I was watching it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There  were WE factory chrome 302 retirement sets. These also had a chrome F handset.

Your choice of a brown handset on a gold body was a good choice. It was a popular choice with Bell to use brown handsets on there gold colored payphones,
JMO,
Jim
Some re-builders were offering plated phone (Chiicago old telephone comes to mind) Steve H (dialman) did create  brass 302 housings from Korea  back in the day.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I never thought of a retirement set. This does look Gold and not Brass. I will go with a Retirement set. Seller found it in RI...many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

If you get curious, small gold testing kits can be bought.

Take a small scraping from somewhere out of sight, place it on the plate, use the relevant bottle to test (full instructions come with the kits). Very easy.  :)

This one below similar to a kit I have:

rdelius

We did sell gold plated 302 sets but they did not have clear plungers. The dates would not match on the dial. The fingerstop would be gold plated. We did not use numbers only dial plates. The gold would not tarnish like brass and did not cost much more than brass. Plating costs were mostly the preperation of the parts to make them perfect for plating .

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on August 05, 2020, 09:35:13 AM
We did sell gold plated 302 sets but they did not have clear plungers. The dates would not match on the dial. The fingerstop would be gold plated. We did not use numbers only dial plates. The gold would not tarnish like brass and did not cost much more than brass. Plating costs were mostly the preperation of the parts to make them perfect for plating .
Robby...I added the Clear Plungers and the III38 dial plate...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: rdelius on August 05, 2020, 09:35:13 AM
We did sell gold plated 302 sets but they did not have clear plungers. The dates would not match on the dial. The fingerstop would be gold plated. We did not use numbers only dial plates...

Screenshots from listing if that helps.
:)

rdelius

I built all the 302 sets. #4 and converted #2 dials would be saved for earlier sets and #5 and #6 dials were used on 302 sets. Cloth cords would be used and for an extra cost, gold plated bands would be added to the handset. Nice find.

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on August 05, 2020, 12:10:20 PM
I built all the 302 sets. #4 and converted #2 dials would be saved for earlier sets and #5 and #6 dials were used on 302 sets. Cloth cords would be used and for an extra cost, gold plated bands would be added to the handset. Nice find.
thanks Robby
Kidphone

Babybearjs

those are so pretty... well worth the price... I'll just stay with my black and brass phones as the gold 302's are just too much brass....
John