News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! (2nd Monday in October)

Started by DavePEI, October 13, 2013, 09:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I just wanted to wish all our Canadian Members a very Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, October 14th! We had a small roast today, and a large chicken is being cooked tomorrow. A great day to be thankful for all the blessings the past year has brought!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

We live so close to the border in MN we should be able to celebrate twice. Twice the Turkey.

Cheers,
Ben

Dennis Markham

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian members.  I almost wrote Happy Thanksgiving to our friends "north of the border" but from Detroit, Windsor is south of the border.  Hope you all enjoy the holiday!

DavePEI

Some Interesting Cross-Border Thanksgiving Facts from Farmer's Almanac:

Thanksgiving Dates in Canada and the U.S.:

"Thanksgiving in the United States is always celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated the second Monday in October."

"Canadian Thanksgiving:

Thanksgiving Day in Canada is celebrated on the second Monday in October. The first Canadian Thanksgiving Day was observed on April 15, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness."

"United States Thanksgiving:

In a 1789 proclamation, President George Washington called on the people of the United States to acknowledge God for affording them "an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness" by observing a day of thanksgiving. Devoting a day to "public thanksgiving and prayer," as Washington called it, became a yearly tradition in many communities.

Thanksgiving became a national holiday in 1863. In that year, during the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln made his Thanksgiving Day Proclamation. He asked his fellow citizens to "to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise . . ."

It was not until 1941 that Congress designated the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day, thus creating a federal holiday."

So, while a month early for our friends in the U.S., our best Thanksgiving wishes go out to all as we look over our good fortune over the past year. May all enjoy the bounties of this year's harvest in their Thanksgiving celebration!

Dave

P.S. On a further note: This morning, we had our first frost of the year, somehow appropriate for a Thanksgiving morning!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

Thanks. I'm working.....AND it's my wife's birthday.

Some Thanksgiving sushi tonight. ;D
Cheers........Bill

AE_Collector

Time to bump this topic back to the top of the list!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in Canada though you would never know it around my house today. There will be up to 15 of us here for Chinese food dinner tonight! Not the usual Thanksgiving day meal but then....it isn't Thanksgiving day .....yet!

Oops, got to go, my wife found me back on the computer and is about to start yelling.....

A Happy Thanksgiving to all the other Canadian CRPF members!

Terry

Dennis Markham

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 12, 2014, 05:11:45 PM

Oops, got to go, my wife found me back on the computer and is about to start yelling.....

A Happy Thanksgiving to all the other Canadian CRPF members!
Terry

Got a good chuckle out of that one, Terry! 

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to ALL of our Canadian friends! 

~Dennis

tallguy58

Turkey yesterday, turkey tonight.

Tomorrow........ leftovers.

Turkey soup on the stove tomorrow morning.

Love this time of year ;D ;D
Cheers........Bill

Dennis Markham

It's been three years since anyone posted on this topic but I will bring it up now, albeit rather late in the day.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian friends!  Hope you all had or are having a great celebration!

~Dennis

AE_Collector

Thanks Dennis, it has been a good three day weekend with our big family meal on Saturday....cause it worked!

Terry