News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally Put My Panasonic 308 On Line

Started by 19and41, February 25, 2021, 07:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I set up a place to mount it and am starting to restore my home's wiring to accommodate a old timer in each room.  I had always had a problem with low audio levels and those I call now say it is improved.  The house had jacks installed in each room.  They will need separate runs now. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RB

Nice!
You have a job ahead of you, "depending on the way your house is built".
You may be able to use the old lines as "pull string", to run the new ones.
Good luck and post pics of it all ;)

Key2871

I've found in old homes the line was run from phone to phone, so the more phones off hook the line drop was hurendus.
It's a good idea to make new home runs anyway.
Good luck some can be a challenge to run wires in.
KEN

19and41

I'm going to have to see how the original wiring was routed.  If it's passed through the floor the way I think, the wiring will have to be the pull through as it's solid wire.  I'd just make it an RJ11 at each end with a more modern  wall plate.  I'd need to mount the 308 in the garage.  The line in would have to come from the opposite end of the house, where my computer room is.  Regardless, this will be a long term project, as my knees and back aren't what they used to be.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Budavox

Hello, I am planning on getting this Panasonic 308 too, I heard that this PBX supports pulse dialling as well (it has integrated pulse to tone converter), so old rotary phones would work.

My question is how do we access * and # button, let's say we make an outgoing call and it is connected to computer that need */# input? How do we access this using rotary phones..?
Have you experience this..?

Thank you  :)

TelePlay

Quote from: Budavox on June 13, 2022, 11:35:56 AMMy question is how do we access * and # button (from a rotary dial phone) . . .

Install a Touch Tone Adjunct dial pad. Lot of posts on the Forum, here's 2 to get you started:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20558.msg210181#msg210181

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20558.msg210442#msg210442

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Budavox on June 13, 2022, 11:35:56 AMMy question is how do we access * and # button, let's say we make an outgoing call and it is connected to computer that need */# input? How do we access this using rotary phones..?
Have you experience this..?

Thank you  :)

In the early days of TT menus you could dial 010 and 011 for star and pound. Some equitment may still accept this.

They also made pocket dialers which is a portable TT pad that you hold next to the transmitter while dialing.

I used to use a speed dial adjunct. I programed 1 digit in each memory location and used the speed dialer as a touchpad.

The easiest is to use a hybrid KSU that supports pulse.
Like the Panasonic 308
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Budavox

Hello all, thank you for the responses.. Yes2 I was thinking of accessing the # and * button using the Panasonic 308. It seems it can be acquired by shortcuts (010 and 011 - but depends on the computer), or by a dial pad.

Dialpads are very rare here (or maybe not available at all).. The DIY dialpad in the thread is interesting.. but I would need a donor phone for that. I think I will get a small telephone (like Alcatel T06) and put it in parallel as a dialpad  :D

19and41

I think I still have an acoustically coupled handheld tone dialer i kept from when going back and forth between phone systems.  I imagine they are kind of rare now.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

TelePlay

The Apple App Store has an App that creates DTMF tones.

Basic vets is free.

Works by typing in the number or a * or # and pressing the green call bottom.

Upgrade to the "Pro" version seems to include a memory feature.

Second image shows what the open App looks like.