News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 300 series with Stars?

Started by RDPipes, November 23, 2022, 05:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I purchased a WE 300 series telephone circa 1940's a while ago that has 3 Stars stamped on it's base and was wondering what in tarnation are they for? Anyone know?

poplar1

It was refurbished by Hallmark House, located in Springfield, MA.

This company ran ads in each issue of Telephony and Telephone Engineering and Management magazines, offering to buy "off the lines" phones to export.

"Export" in reality was not overseas, rather, it was 90 miles down the Mass.
Turnpike to the Radio Shack warehouse in Braintree, MA.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on November 23, 2022, 06:17:24 PMIt was refurbished by Hallmark House, located in Springfield, MA.

This company ran ads in each issue of Telephony and Telephone Engineering and Management magazines, offering to buy "off the lines" phones to export.

"Export" in reality was not overseas, rather, it was 90 miles down the Mass.
Turnpike to the Radio Shack warehouse in Braintree, MA.

Thank you Dave, that's pretty comical, I reckon I can say I "Imported" the phone from New York then, LOL!
And by the way, this is the 302AC "Lift Plunger to Dial or Talk" phone I destroyed the print on trying to remove
what was left of the chipping black paint that was on cradle.  :(

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on November 23, 2022, 06:17:24 PMIt was refurbished by Hallmark House, located in Springfield, MA.

Really good info David! Right here in MA.......Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Read more of Dave's posts about his experiences by searching the forum for "Hallmark House."
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on November 23, 2022, 09:38:05 PM"Hallmark House"

Was that the same refurb shop that put 1 white star on the bottom or was that another facility?

david@london

I remember reading about The Black Panther Trading Co...apparently the same outfit?

Forum link

poplar1

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on November 25, 2022, 09:23:24 AMWas that the same refurb shop that put 1 white star on the bottom or was that another facility?

Same. Rubber stamp. Add ink to the ink pad as needed.

FABphones

Bizarre choice but I guess it made them distinctive and years later remembered by being easy to see who did a refurb.

Why two trading names?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

...I wonder if the number of stamps indicates the line worker who did the refurb. That may account for the irregularity of the stamps.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble