News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

We handset with shoulder rest

Started by markosjal, December 30, 2022, 11:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I just bought a WE 500 baseplate date is 1953 other parts are 1956. Has a handset with shoulder rest that I assumed was removable in some way but upon further inspection, seems screwed into or rivited onto handset . I was wondering if WE made shoulder rests on some handsets.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

paul-f

Quote from: markosjal on December 30, 2022, 11:36:35 PMI was wondering if WE made shoulder rests on some handsets.
Congratulations. You found a G4 handset. For some background info, BSP references and link to additional photos, go here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#G4
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Paul, how rare is the G4 and would you take a guess at the value?

markosjal

how do I remove it to clean and polish the handset more easily?

Would live to find one of those covers, as pictured in the images for the shoulder rest.

paul-f

I haven't seen a G4 trade hands in many years, so wouldn't hazard a guess regarding value. Clearly, they are scarce -- but are there collectors willing to bid high for one?

Years ago, they turned up fairly regularly. I vaguely remember some collectors attempting to collect all the colors -- typically found in the later 500-series colors. I did find a saved photo of a yellow G4 (below). At one point, I had one on a pink Princess set as removed from service. It looked out of place.

As you can see from the photos, the rest is held to the handle by two pins that fit into the holes. There's a spring to provide tension. In theory, the rest can be simply pulled off the handle for cleaning or to reverse the direction for right- or left-handers.

Like other handset components, with age they tend to get stuck and hard to remove. I remember pulling one off and having the pins and spring go flying. Fortunately, they could be reattached.

The foam cushions did not age gracefully. A few basically turned to dust and/or cracked if removed. When I get a chance, I'll check on the status of some in my collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

My aunt remodeled her kitchen around 1970 and changed the black 500 to a white 554 with long handset cord and G4 handset, so she could talk and cook at the same time.

At that time, there was a one-time charge of $4.00 for the G4. ($4 in 1970 =$29.59 in 2022 dollars.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

I bought this one for what I at first figured was too much at $35, but paid full price as seller drove to meet me half way.

I really wanted a 1953 Phone but found the baseplate bell and Network seem to be the only 1953 components the rest are 1956 and 1957

The other attractive point of this phone for me was the PRospect  1 Number card. This tells me that it originated here locally in the very neighborhood I grew up in . Also it is a great match for my WE Wall phone of the same era and color.

I suppose now I can see that maybe the rarity of this handset may have made it all worth it anyway.

Surprisingly, the cords are all in good shape too! I am able to keep it all original except for one part that is the receiver element looks like someone shoved a screwdriver through the center of it.

BTW there is currently a G4 handset on ebay, I saw it today.

Pics of what I got today. These are the pics as it was sold on Facebook.

markosjal

Here it is cleaned up some

markosjal

After all, I have decided that I would be willing to pass this one along to some other collector if someone is interested.