News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replicated Designation card Holder

Started by RDPipes, March 17, 2023, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum section for this nor am I sure that it's even the proper name for the item but, I think most of you will understand what it is.
A while back I was looking for one of these clear plastic Designation card holder for a WE444 key set telephone or the like and I know you must know how hard they are to come by specially not cracked of chipped. So a few days ago I decided to try my hand at making one out of some scrap Plexiglass and aluminum rod stock I turn down in the lathe. Not as hard as one might think to get it close enough to original, although I used aluminum instead of brass (which I do have) just because it quicker to turn. I think it came out pretty dadburn good considering. I can make any size you want as long as I know the exact measurements of the Plexiglass piece. If anyone likes what I've done here and needs one just let me know via PM and we can see what can be done, for a small price.....of course.  8)

Doug Rose

Kidphone

RDPipes

FABphones

Another lathe triumph!  Now I'm really starting to want a lathe...

:D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on March 17, 2023, 02:23:57 PMAnother lathe triumph!  Now I'm really starting to want a lathe...

:D

Well I turned them on the lathe only because I didn't have and rod stock the proper size.
I would imagine you can get brass rod/wire the correct size from a good supplier instead of turning a lot
of waste off a 3/8" rod, they are only about 5/16" in diameter. And the Plexiglass you just cut to size, shape and sand the edges, drill and then polish. Anyone can do it really with patience.
Lathes can be pretty pricey and tooling even more. I think I paid about $3000 for the lathe and stand and tooling, well it just keeps adding up. I bet I have $1500-2000 just in tooling.
Of course there are much smaller lathes but, then it will limit what can be turned in diameter and length.
Mine is a 10 x 30 lathe which means it has 5" diameter chuck with a max of 5" swing that will only hold about a 3-1/2" to 4" diameter rod (don't recall exactly right now) and about 30" long. And then of course there's the torque of the motor that will dictate what elements can be turned.

RDPipes

Quote from: RDPipes on March 17, 2023, 03:33:41 PMI would imagine you can get brass rod/wire the correct size from a good supplier instead of turning a lot of waste off a 3/8" rod, they are only about 5/16" in diameter.

I just realized I stated 5/16" dia., should have been 1/16" dia., another brain fart.

oldguy

I've always wanted a lathe too, not to mention a mill😀
Gary

RDPipes

Quote from: oldguy on March 22, 2023, 11:46:15 PMI've always wanted a lathe too, not to mention a mill😀
A small mill would be nice, then we could make just about anything we need and exactly how we want it.
I'd have to wish for the money to buy one too though, LOL!