News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - April 2017

Started by AE_Collector, February 28, 2017, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - April 2017   *** VOTE FOR THREE ***

jjflory's Complete WE 50AL updated with an F1 "Bulldog" Transmitter, 706 Receiver and 634 subset for $110 from an antique store
5 (17.2%)
shadow67's WE metal housing 302 dated 1940 on eBay for $39 with free shipping
6 (20.7%)
Pourme's WE/American Bell wood 295a subset factory converted from a Type 124a wall set on eBay for $25.00 plus $22.00 shipping
5 (17.2%)
TelePlay's Mar 1945 AE 40 with black number plate, straight line ringer and original cords on eBay for free
7 (24.1%)
Autonut's cast Bronze Bell Canada sign that I purchased and picked up from the previous owner for a very reasonable price
13 (44.8%)
WEBellSystemChristian's 1953 WE Ivory Two Tone 500 on Etsy for $32 plus shipping
8 (27.6%)
compubit's WE 1702B 10 Button Imperial Princess on eBay for $36 plus $11.65 shipping
9 (31%)
Sargeguy's Ansonia Brass & Copper Co. gong that came on a N.E.T.&T. TYPE 57 ringer box on eBay for $35.00 plus shipping
7 (24.1%)
Fabius' 1921 Indiana Bell Telephone 11 x 11 porcelain sign on eBay for $227 plus shipping
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

TelePlay

I'd like to nominate jjflory's "Awesome New Find," the 100% complete Western Electric 50AL that was refurb'd around 1932 with the F1 "Bulldog" Transmitter and the 706 Receiver. It came with a 634 subset and original cordage. He found it at an antique store in Texas and ended up paying $110.00 for this interesting phone.

A discussion of this phone can be found at

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17920.0

shadow67

My first nomination ever. WE metal 302 dated 1940 with 1953 and 1955 dated transmitter and receiver. I put a new line cord on it and moved a ringer wire to make it ring. $39 and free shipping. eBay

Pourme

I'd like to nominate my dove tailed, wooden, WE/American Bell 295a subset, factory converted from a Type 124a wall set.

Previously posted on the forum. http://tinyurl.com/kj9e5a2

I recently purchased a 20al from SargeGuy and was searching for a subset to mate with it. The candlestick is a all original and I wanted the subset to be the same. I honestly didn't know exactly what I was looking for. When this piece was offered on EBAY, I thought it may be bid out of my reach. The minimum bid was $25.00. I didn't bid, I just watched very close. When the bid went to the final hours I bid the minimum.  I had to be out of town and didn't think I would be back in time to defend my offer.  I raised my max bid to $140. In the end I did get home in time to watch the end. No one even tried to snipe, I won for $25.00 + $22.00 shipping!

http://tinyurl.com/lso3uen

I have begun the process of restoration and documented it's progress here.

http://tinyurl.com/l9ldkah

The process is still on going but, I will have a stick and a subset that I will be proud to own when it is complete!

Thanks!
Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

I'd like to nominate the Navy war time AE 40 with black number plate, straight line ringer and original, straight handset and line cords that I got from an eBay seller for FREE!, sort of. The phone into my hands did not cost me one cent, free. Repairs, that's another issue. The ringer works, the dial works and if for not poor shipping practices . . .

Posted on the form at:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18000.0   (Wow, the 18,000th topic, a mile stone).

I'll enter my Bronze Bell Canada Sign that I picked up personally today from the previous owner for a very reasonable sale price.
It weighs in at 35 LBS and measures 26 1/2" X 21 in the frame"

I have it posted here.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18017.msg185912#new

TelePlay

Less than a handful of days to submit a find for April, if there are any more out there.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'll nominate my (assumingly factory-original) 1953 Ivory Two Tone 500 that I found for $32 plus shipping. Since it hasn't arrived yet, I'm going out on a limb assuming it's dates-matching, other than the handset cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18053
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

I will throw my WE 1702B Imperial Princess into the ring. I paid $36 (+$11.65 shipping). I won it on March 29th, but didn't want to nominate it until I received it (PayPal was having fits with payingthe seller, since she was a new seller) - just in case it never came through...

This provides the third version (rotary, 10-button, and 12 button) Imperial Princess phones. You don't see a lot of Imperial Princesses nor 10 button Princesses (compared with other Princess models), so when I found one, i knew I wanted it (and didn't think it would go this low...)

I saw one visiting Paul F, but never thought I'd ever have one, but now I do.  If you're looking for something, it might actually turn up on eBay (or elsewhere!).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Sargeguy

I am going to nominate my Ansonia Brass & Copper Co. gong.  It came on a N.E.T.&T. TYPE 57 ringer box (with wax ball ringer assembly).  Cost for the box and the bell was $35.00 plus shipping.  These gongs were used on early Charles Williams Coffin phones and other very early, pre-Western Electric Bell phones.  I have been looking for one of these bells for my 1890 top box restoration.  The story of how I came to find out about the gong is pretty odd.  The seller is a well known collector, and posted a query of one of the listservs asking for confirmation if the A.B.&C Co. inscription stood for "Ansonia Brass & Copper Co" and asking how much such a bell would be worth.  I e-mailed him with an offer for the gong.  He replied, telling me to look underneath the gongs on my TYPE 57 box, that I'd be "pleasantly surprised". I was!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I nominate my 1921 Indiana Bell Telephone porcelain sign. Some chipping on the flange but overall excellent condition. One of the tougher Bell System companies to find on the 11x11 series of 1921 Bell signs.. $227 plus shipping on ebay.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Well, the clock on Doug's wall says we are now into May by about 25 minutes so the nomination period has ended (with Fabius sneaking in with less than 2 hours to go) and the poll is now open.

We have 9 outstanding nominations for April so the poll will be interesting. With that selection, this month we will give everyone 3 votes, you can vote for up to 3 nominations, and we'll see who can snag the win in April!

Anyone can participate in this poll and new members are encouraged to join in the fun and vote for their favorites.

Good luck to all nominations!

TelePlay

The poll is doing well. In only 2 days, 20 members have voted and the votes cast are interesting as well.

IIRC, the highest total number of voting members we've seen is a bit above 30 so still waiting to hear from about 10 members.

Also, new members are encouraged to vote. It's all in fun so if you haven't, take a few minutes to look over the nominated phones and cast your votes for your favorite finds.

Poll closes in 5 days, at the latest.

AE_Collector

Hey thanks for looking after things for me John while I am "stuck" here in Bora Bora on a cruise ship. What a great selection of contestants this month! I've placed my votes, let's see who hauls the trophy home this month!

Terry

TelePlay

Might be a sign of the times, well, it's a building plaque and not a typical telephone sign, but it is a great find and the first time a sign has won Find of the Month so a big congratulations goes out to Autonut for finding this cast Bronze Bell Canada sign and winning April's poll with it.

Thanks to all the contestants this month. Every nomination did well but just not well enough to win. And, thanks to everyone who took the time to vote for their favorite.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:  --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:  --> Photo Album <--

. . . . for Terry  ( . . .   who is still on a boat somewhere nice drinking something good sitting in a chair with his feet up under a sun umbrella on the poop deck of that huge ship . . . )