News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Elektrisk Bureau 1924 Barn Fresh!

Started by dsk, May 02, 2018, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Now I really understand "barn fresh"  I do not take the risk of cleaning this one completely, but I will strip it from the black paint, and repaint it.  I guess it has been stored in a barn or something where it has been hens, even when that may be years ago it needs to be cleaned to get rid of the odor.

The phone is a model 1924, made up to 32 but the dial is marked Elektrisk Bureau Oslo, and they started with that marking in 1925, and stopped make those dials in 28, that is as close I can come.
They did not make many of those dials, so that alone makes it rare.

4 drops of oil, and a small adjustment and the dial is working within an accuracy of less than 2% in speed and make-break ratio. Not bad after 90 years!

dsk

dsk

The cabinet is equal to the one in this thread: https://goo.gl/dQsV8b
dsk

RB

tubaman

The paint on the case looks quite reasonable from the photo.
If it was me I would just give it a good clean.
:)

Doug Rose

Real Nice Dag.....dial is fantastic. Is the paint that bad? Looks nice in the pictures....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Pretty much of the paint went off when I tried to clean it, and it was some spots of rust.
dsk

RB

So, it sounds like you got the ok to be creative!  ;D

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

I have stripped it, tried to remove all rust, and primed it. I will try matte black color, if that not turns out to well, I have to top it with a more shiny finish, but then all small faults will be easily visible.
I am pretty good on the circuitry, but not on the finish things, :-[ 

dsk

dsk

The dial looks like this on the rear:

I have not seen others with that solution, and they left it in 1928, when they started making dials again in 1942, it was pretty equal to the Antwerp dials.

dsk

FABphones

Quote from: dsk on May 03, 2018, 03:30:58 PM
I have stripped it, tried to remove all rust, and primed it....

dsk

Do you have a photo of it stripped (and one of it primed)?
Am interested to see it's condition underneath the paint.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

I did not take any photos under that process.
dsk

dsk

Not finished, but I ll try to take some pictures during the further process.
It is cold here, and this is done outdoors, so I heated the parts in the oven to 70 deg C 160F and took it out, shaked the bottle and sprayed it. (2 times).

Maybe a more glossy finish are better, not to late to do that.
Here is how it looks this morning:

dsk

Doug Rose

Kidphone

dsk

I have to stop her, our frig broke down, we have to improvise, a new one of the right type can not be delivered before the end of the month.

Here it is, new schematics, new cords (DIY) and tested on my new BK Precision 1050 tester. (passing on all tests)

I have measured, and calculated the REN load to  0.67 if, and only if I replace the strap EK-L1 with a 0.67 uF capacitor.

Diagram:

Then it needs 40 V to ring well.

dsk