News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Vintage Hong Kong Landline Old Fashion Rotary Dial telephone (古老電話一組一件)

Started by Doug Rose, May 26, 2022, 12:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

How many of you had been watching this?  For months it was $1000, yes 1K

All of a sudden it was $100 with an offer but $40 shipping.

I put an offer of $75 and $21.50 shipping and it was accepted.

Got it today. Good packing no chips cracks or missing pieces, but the plungers were down and there was rattling in the phone.  >:(

GOOD NEWS was the thumb screws had come off!

It does work. I have to clean the outsides!...Doug

Kidphone

tubaman

Looks like an export version of the GPO 332, probably made by GEC. The dial is nice with the Chinese numbers.

Doug Rose

This is really a cool phone. It has a small grate on the top over the dial with openings on the front and the back. Bakelite is shiny and it great shape. Minor mark on back ear. Really minor.

It is a working phone with a great ring. I need to find a black cloth line cord.

The highlights are the Chinese figures on the dial and Hong Kong Telephone engraved on the front. Dial is wonderful, spins and returns as it should!

I have a Telephone Booth sign  "Hong Kong Telephone".

HOW DO YOU GET THE DIAL CARD RING     Out of the Finger wheel? I never had a issue before, now this is two in  row. Used to pry it up with a tiny screwdriver that now takes hunks of flesh  :( ...Doug

Kidphone

tubaman

A small screwdriver or a pocket knife is what I usually use for these dial clips. Just carefully lift the pointed end up and out.

LM Ericsson

You can even use a big flat screwdriver to pry off the end and once you get the end up, us a smaller flat screwdriver to get it off further.
Regards,
-Grayson

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

I have a Telephone Booth sign  "Hong Kong Telephone".
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I had noticed that phone and wondered what the seller could have been thinking when they listed it for $1000.  I though that they may have had a sticky '0' key and meant $100.  It is obviously the tropicalised version of the GPO 300 series.  I have one here somewhere.  The screening is there to keep small crawly things from crawling into the phone.

Larry

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is a newer Hong Kong Phone on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384951051616?
Kidphone

FABphones

QuoteHere is a newer Hong Kong Phone..

I wonder, is it newer? It would be good to see a full image of baseplates. The 330 type should be dated (the GEC baseplate is covered with a large sticker).

In my experience, the latter GEC model is the model less available (but not rare).

https://www.britishtelephones.com/qfgec.htm

Hopefully some of our other UK/EU members can help...
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

The GEC 1000 Type was introduced around 1956 according to Bob Freshwater's site - https://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/tel9t.htm
The 332 style phone that Doug has was introduced by the UK GPO in 1937, but I don't know when Hong Kong started to use them.
The UK GPO never used the GEC 1000 type and continued with the 332 until the introduction of the 700 type in 1959.

Certainly in the UK the 1000 Type is the harder to find as they were only used on private exchanges so are far less numerous than the 332s.