News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western El. 177G payphone made from a 150 U

Started by Gary Z, October 17, 2018, 12:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

I just received this from an Ebay auction and trying to find out more about it. I do have a few payphones but never came across one of these. It looks as though it is in "as removed from service" condition. It shows signs that the top and bottom were once a 150 U and then relabeled and updated to a 177G in the early 1950's. Any info would be appreciated. I will add pictures as I can.

Thanks,

Gary Z

----------------------

EDIT: all of the original 6 images had the largest side greater than 4,000 pixel and 2 of the images would not expand due to being too large for the server. All original images were copied into Paint, rotated and downsized to 3,500 pixels on the largest side for enlarged viewing. Images should/must be no larger than 3,500 pixels on their largest side to work on this forum.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.0

FABphones

Could you add the auction link, and a photo of the phone from the front (right way up)?
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Gary Z

Payphone installer

You just landed a very nice piece do not change it, it is very rare to find one as removed from service.

Gary Z

Jim, I think you are right about the small central office or a private PBX. I will post a picture of the instruction card on the front.

Key2871

Very nice phone, yes don't change a thing.
I wonder since it has central office information could it have been in a CO? Unique that it has such thing as BATT reversal,
And other central office information like if you wanted to get informed about something, you would dial that number.
KEN

Gary Z

Would it have had an F1 handset? The G handset looks like it was added later and an F1 looks like a better fit on the cradle.

RotarDad

Yes, I believe F handset would be correct, with a straight rubber cord.  The 17X series payphones were conversions of earlier two-piece models to handset models, and F would be period-correct.  I believe these all also have the conversion to 10 cent operation, as evidenced in your phone by the 1953-dated replacement stainless coin track.
Paul

Key2871

Honestly I didn't notice that it had the wrong handset, I was drawn to the "instruction card", really makes me wonder why it had CO terms on it, as opposed to how to use the payphone.
KEN

gk

Quote from: Key2871 on October 18, 2018, 04:59:12 PMHonestly I didn't notice that it had the wrong handset, I was drawn to the "instruction card", really makes me wonder why it had CO terms on it, as opposed to how to use the payphone.

Likely was used in the Fleetwood (FLWD) Pennsylvania central office for testing.  Fleetwood is about six miles (driving) southwest of Kutztown PA, and Reading PA is about 12 miles southwest of Fleetwood PA.  The WH4 NXX is assigned to the ILEC in the Fleetwood area (now called Verizon PA) and the OV3 NXX is assigned to the ILEC in Kutztown (also Verizon PA). 

MMikeJBenN27

Wow!  What a find!  You lucky guy.  Don't change ANYTHING.  Keep this stock, as payphones, especially as old as this is, are getting pretty rare.  You have a true historical piece.  There are guys on this forum who have keys for the coin vault door.  Enjoy it!

Mike

FABphones

Old 2018 thread but Gary still logs in to CRPF. 

Any update for us Gary?

Gary Z

I had to thin the herd a little. I was running out of room for some of my collection. It was sold to another collector. :(

FABphones

Quote from: Gary Z on December 05, 2022, 08:29:14 PMI had to thin the herd a little...

Aw.  :(
I understand though as I too need to thin the collection down a little...