News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson converted to radio or CB?

Started by MikeMLM, January 05, 2023, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMLM

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 06, 2023, 12:31:51 PMAs already stated holding the gear and turning the crank should release it. There are large holes in the back where I think the magneto is mounted. Maybe you can get a screwdriver in one of them to jam the gear?

We're in business, thanks! I was able to crack the case a bit, jam the gear and back off the handle. As suspected there's a wire from the radio to the receiver. Is there anything obvious missing other than the batteries?

HarrySmith

CONGRATS!
It looks like it is all there to me, except the wiring. I am not a woodie expert so I will leave it to to others here who are to be certain.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

A moment ago there were pictures attached that I was looking at, now I get "not a valid attachment ID" and no pictures??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MikeMLM

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 06, 2023, 12:59:46 PMA moment ago there were pictures attached that I was looking at, now I get "not a valid attachment ID" and no pictures??

I broke the link  :o . Fixed

TelePlay

In a prior image, I saw the line power cord for the radio was cut with one side of it going upward, yellow circle.

In your new image, I now see the upward half of the power cord if attached to the hook switch, white circle.

Seems like the parts are there but the conductors removed to make it a radio. Don't know if running line voltage through the hook switch did any damage to the contacts.

With a metal hook impacting the hook switch leaves, I wonder if anyone got a tingle out of lifting the receiver and brushing a finger up against the hook?

And what or where is the speaker?

HarrySmith

I looks like the 2 wires from the transmitter are connected to the volume switch. It appears that was the speaker!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 06, 2023, 02:43:35 PMI looks like the 2 wires from the transmitter are connected to the volume switch. It appears that was the speaker!

So, the whole point of this creation was 1)turn the crank to ring the bells; and 2) lift the receiver to power up the radio and hear whatever station was tuned in?

A novelty thing . . .

HarrySmith

I am guessing the transmitter guts were removed to install some kind of small speaker. I can't imagine there was much volume?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MikeMLM

Quote from: TelePlay on January 06, 2023, 03:04:42 PMSo, the whole point of this creation was 1)turn the crank to ring the bells; and 2) lift the receiver to power up the radio and hear whatever station was tuned in?

A novelty thing . . .

I think you hit on something here. I posted a separate ask on an antique radio forum asking about the radio and got an interesting response about the dials being for a Conelrad radio. It makes sense in that context. Pick up the receiver to hear instructions when we're under attack by the Soviets.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=421906&p=3607098#p3607098

Contempra

Quote from: MikeMLM on January 06, 2023, 03:40:42 PMI think you hit on something here. I posted a separate ask on an antique radio forum asking about the radio and got an interesting response about the dials being for a Conelrad radio. It makes sense in that context. Pick up the receiver to hear instructions when we're under attack by the Soviets.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=421906&p=3607098#p3607098

I had an account on this forum(antiqueradios) , however, it's been almost 5 years since I've been back. So I lost my username and the email I used for this forum. But over time, Microsoft blocked me this email whose coordinates I forgot.

TelePlay

Quote from: MikeMLM on January 06, 2023, 03:40:42 PM. . . got an interesting response about the dials being for a Conelrad radio. It makes sense in that context. Pick up the receiver to hear instructions when we're under attack by the Soviets.

2 things.

1) The knob showing 54 to 16 is full AM radio frequencies (540 to 1600+ kHz)

so not just the Conelrad frequencies but any AM stations in the area. The green and white wires connected to the variable capacitor (tuning capacitor) are or were most likely the antenna and a ground (true earth ground) connections for good AM reception. The small knob is volume.

2) It takes time, minutes, for those tubes to warm up so when first taking the receiver off hook, nothing would be heard for at least a minute.

Can you open the receiver and take a picture of what the "transmitter" elements inside it looks like?

MikeMLM

Quote from: TelePlay on January 06, 2023, 08:50:24 PM2 things.

1) The knob showing 54 to 16 is full AM radio frequencies (540 to 1600+ kHz)

so not just the Conelrad frequencies but any AM stations in the area. The green and white wires connected to the variable capacitor (tuning capacitor) are or were most likely the antenna and a ground (true earth ground) connections for good AM reception. The small knob is volume.

2) It takes time, minutes, for those tubes to warm up so when first taking the receiver off hook, nothing would be heard for at least a minute.

Can you open the receiver and take a picture of what the "transmitter" elements inside it looks like?

Here's a pic without the spit cup

I appreciate all of the info provided so far. Is there a particular model number or definitive year range for this model? Asking because I'm a history buff and enjoy the story about the things I collect.