News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Home Made Number Card Retainer Repair Die

Started by RDPipes, February 14, 2023, 08:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I know someone has one of these but, for the life of me I couldn't find the post that they showed it in. I think it was Ray (Kleenax) but, I'm not completely sure now and mine is probably a lot different. I think his had the pos. and neg. dies that go together but, I aint that fancy of a machinist. 
Anyway, I've always wanted to make a die I could use the straighten out these hard to come by WE retainers so this past weekend I went to my metal lathe and happen to have some 2" dia. Aluminum rod stock on hand and turned this. I think it came out pretty good and it works great to straighten them out. I just press them on to the die with my fingers and then take a nylon mallet and tap gently all the way around to make sure all is in contact with the die, specially on the dented portion and after doing that for about a minute or two it takes it right out without a mar. It aint real fancy or pretty but it does the job, now to figure out one for the AE card retainers.   

FABphones

Very nicely done. I am liking this idea very much and is along the lines of something I looked into a while back. You have succeeded where I stumbled.

I will p.m. you...

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on February 14, 2023, 09:31:58 AMVery nicely done. I am liking this idea very much and is along the lines of something I looked into a while back. You have succeeded where I stumbled.

I will p.m. you...

:)

You should have seen me making it, I stumble from one end of the shop to the other, LOL!

paul-f

Great project, Ron.

Many of us probably have the same problem and have a handful (or  more) retainers that need work. For those that don't have a metal lathe, have you considered:

• making dies for sale, or
  • offering a retainer repair service?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on February 14, 2023, 10:40:48 AMGreat project, Ron.

Many of us probably have the same problem and have a handful (or  more) retainers that need work. For those that don't have a metal lathe, have you considered:

• making dies for sale, or
  • offering a retainer repair service?

Well Paul, to be perfectly honest I have several bulging disks in my back and it's hard to stand in front of the lathe much anymore but, maybe sometime when I feel better I'll try to make a few more for resale. And then again, I reckon it matters how many want one. It's sad how a happy pocket book can make the pain subside, LOL!

I reckon for the time being I could take some orders in for repair but, I'll have to figure out just what to charge. I certainly don't want to charge too much because lets face it, these retainers are to expensive as it is.
If I could reproduce them I'd sell'em for a few dollars a piece, seeing these sell for stupid money on eBay is just irritating to say the least.

TelePlay

Here's countryman's topic on creating a number ring from a bottle cap:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26580.0

Topic Subject:  Home fabricated card retainers

TelePlay

Here's kleenax's version of a ring straightener:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20053.0

Subject Title"  Western Electric Number Card Holder - Straightening Tool

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on February 14, 2023, 01:50:19 PMHere's kleenax's version of a ring straightener:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20053.0

Subject Title"  Western Electric Number Card Holder - Straightening Tool

There it is, yeah his has a positive and negative half which does a quicker job of it I would imagine but, it does cost more in materials and time. And his is made of steel it seems and I just can't afford carbide inserts for my tooling.
Thank you sir!

RDPipes

Sometime last week I machined a negative to the positive I had already made for reshaping the WE number card retainers. It came out pretty good and does help quicken the process of straightening and removing the dents.

As for making anymore of these I apologize to anyone that may want one but, it's just to hard on me to stand in front of the lathe that long and hey, lets face it, I'm no machinist by any stretch of the imagination. The primary use of this lathe was to turn and drill stummels and stems for pipes and minor decorative items for them.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

RDPipes

HarrySmith

Very nice work Ron.
IIRC we do have a machinist here. Maybe we could get him to make some for interested parties?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 03, 2023, 01:12:21 PMVery nice work Ron.
IIRC we do have a machinist here. Maybe we could get him to make some for interested parties?

Thank you too Harry! That be great if he'd be willing to take it on.
I'm sure it would be a lot easier for him then me.