News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone recognize it?

Started by RDPipes, March 26, 2023, 07:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Years ago I use to collect small appliances from the teens to the 50's, had just about everything from toasters to quack devices, half or it was early Sunbeam (Chicago Flexible Shaft) so there's not too much of anything out there I haven't at least seen. I found this photo on eBay but, it wasn't part of the sale and couldn't tell from the photo what it was. Now it maybe just how its posed or the quality of the photo but, I just don't recognize it. Looks like it has a temp control and maybe a timer which suggests some kind of toaster or a heating element for some other appliance maybe, whats your thoughts?

FABphones

It looks like a vintage toaster to me. Hinge down doors each side, open, place/turn bread, close door.
or
That centre strip is a lever, pull it up and the two hinged top flaps lift. Place bread down into toaster. Might even be an early manual 'pop up'.

Looks hollow down the centre hence my first guess but could be a reflection so that's my second guess.
More photos would be nice if the owner was willing.

Looks like the left control knob is incomplete.

I would message the seller of the other items is and say although not part of the sale you are curious as to what that item is (attach a photo to the message with a circle around the mystery item).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on March 26, 2023, 08:18:55 AMIt looks like a vintage toaster to me. Hinge down doors each side, open, place/turn bread, close door.
or
That centre strip is a lever, pull it up and the two hinged top flaps lift. Place bread down into toaster. Might even be an early manual 'pop up'.

Looks hollow down the centre hence my first guess but could be a reflection so that's my second guess.
More photos would be nice if the owner was willing.

Looks like the left control knob is incomplete.

I would message the seller of the other items is and say although not part of the sale you are curious as to what that item is (attach a photo to the message with a circle around the mystery item).

I'm not sur if it's a toaster Fab , but i can't recognize this thing .

tom.adams1

It is a foldable electric burner by Foldex Electric Heater Co
https://ogtstore.com/reclaimed-antique-electronics/foldex-portable-electric-burner/

Found using Google Lens

FABphones

Quote from: tom.adams1 on March 26, 2023, 10:11:25 AMIt is a foldable electric burner...

Well I had to look up what Google Lens was, but nicely done.   :)

Ah well, I got the missing control knob part correct.   

More images attached.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: tom.adams1 on March 26, 2023, 10:11:25 AMIt is a foldable electric burner by Foldex Electric Heater Co
https://ogtstore.com/reclaimed-antique-electronics/foldex-portable-electric-burner/

Found using Google Lens

Now there's a man who knows his stuff, all these years (well over 60) and I've never had the pleasure of seeing one. Now I'll have to ask the gentlemen what he wants for it, Yeah, I'm still hook on'em but, nowadays have little to spend on them, LOL! I use to have a knob like the one missing, with any luck I still do.
Thank you Tom!