News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Custom/Vanity Dial Cards

Started by AliceWonder, March 29, 2023, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AliceWonder

My WE 354 doesn't have a dial card. Initially I was going to attempt to make one that matches the historic exchange where I currently live---and while doing that, I discovered why my grandparents (different city but same area) had a phone number that started with 84---but I've decided to go a different direction.

In small font size circularsarc centered at the top it will say "Riddermark Electric Company" and the phone number for the phone itself will be

EDoras{N}
{NNNN}

So I have to see if I can get a custom phone number that starts with a 33 (ED).

We have a good quality B+W laser printer than can print on card stock, so I just need to find a suitable color card stock to use so it appears slightly aged.

A kind of "Easter egg" for house guests who take the time to look.

Is that taking things too far?  :D  :P

compubit

It's definitely not taking things too far!

For the card stock, I seem to recall folks using white card stock then "soaking" it in tea to get "aged" look.  I haven't tried it myself, though.

For the number card with exchange names, Bell System used CopperPlate as the font (I think it's CopperPlate Bold Condensed) for the Exchange (e.g., SHerwood 4) and a different sans serif font for the last digits.  For newer 60s forward, Bell used Franklin Gothic Book in their ads: (311) 555-2368.

Hope this helps!
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

poplar1

This is the CopperPlate Bold Condensed I found online -- looks different from the number card
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AliceWonder

Yes, it's different, I'm probably going to use "Tailwind Smallcaps" (doesn't have a condensed but I don't think I need condensed for EDoras) which is even more different, but I don't need it to be the same/similar font since I'm clearly not reproducing an original.

HarrySmith

Definitely not too far! A good number card makes a phone. Like icing on the cake. A phone is not complete without it :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

If I'm not wrong I believe Bell System used "Helvetica" as the font on the number cards etc.

compubit

Quote from: RDPipes on March 30, 2023, 07:55:03 AMIf I'm not wrong I believe Bell System used "Helvetica" as the font on the number cards etc.
They used the Franklin Gothic family in the 60s/70s/80s in ads and on demo phones.  (The number One is the giveaway...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RDPipes

Quote from: compubit on March 30, 2023, 09:26:21 AMThey used the Franklin Gothic family in the 60s/70s/80s in ads and on demo phones.  (The number One is the giveaway...)

I was referring to early ones.
We don't do anything later then 50's.
Not normally anyway (remembering the WE558 I recently acquired),LOL!

SUnset2

For the early style, I use Copperplate (not bold or condensed) for the EXchange NAme.  I then use a rubber stamp for the numbers. If I want it to look aged, I print it on ivory card stock.

RDPipes

I like that, I'll have to try Copperplate next time, its very close to Helvetica.

poplar1

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 31, 2023, 12:49:47 AMFor the early style, I use Copperplate (not bold or condensed) for the EXchange NAme.  I then use a rubber stamp for the numbers. If I want it to look aged, I print it on ivory card stock.

I believe the style used by mid-1950s (without the black background) were actually printed on gray stock for the Bell System phones:
          "4.01 The basic number card is gray in color..."

If I recall correctly, gray was standard until the introduction of the white cards with the letter M above the phone number.

BSP from TCI Library:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SUnset2

Quote from: RDPipes on March 31, 2023, 04:17:07 AMI like that, I'll have to try Copperplate next time, its very close to Helvetica.
Actually Copperplate is not much like Helvetica.  Copperplate has little tiny serifs on the letters, Helvetica does not.  Copperplate is the closest match to the font used by the Bell System in the days when they spelled out the exchange name.  After that, they went to a sans-serif font.  And this doesn't account for what independent telephone companies were using.

persido