"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

354 Wall Phone - Confusing Modifications

Started by winkydink, April 02, 2012, 07:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 04, 2012, 10:55:44 PM
You will need to either get a second capacitor for the ringer, or get one that has both sections from a 302 or a 354. The single section (2-wire) only handles the talk circuit.  The 356 used the tube instead of the capacitor (condenser).

A .5 mF cap @ 250 Volts is what you need.

Just as a quick reminder - if you buy a capacitor, it must be non-polarized. In other words, NOT an electrolytic capacitor, which is what the guys at Radio Shack will hand you first.

Bill

HowardPgh

I think the B3A ringer(2000 ohm) may have a different impedence than a B1A because of the tube being used in the circuit instead of the capacitor.
I wonder what the phone was being used for with those mods.
Howard

winkydink

I am sorry to say, that I cannot make heads or tails out of the diagram a couple of post ago as to how to wire up the phone.

I do have a normal 302  4 wire condenser that I could use.  If the ringer is different and requires a different capacitance that the normal 302 capacitor/condensor, then I will need to look for a different solution.

I am not (unfortunately) an electronics person and have trouble with schematics.  I know how to wire up a 302.  I also have done some tube radio work so I think (??) I may have a 0.5 mf nonpolarized (i.e. non-electrolytic) capacitor that I can use.  Would I just substitute this in ?  If so, where would the leads connect to (i.e. where on induction coil, or other parts of the phone would I connect the wire to.

My other issue is, if I cannot use the present ringer, then I am stuck with this phone, because all my other ringers are the "snap on" type not the crazy screw in bracket type that this phone has.

HowardPgh

I would wire it like a 302 and see if it rings. Won't hurt anything to try it that way.
In a 302 the 195A condenser is 1/2 mF for the ringer section (yellow and slate wires) and 2 mF for the talk section (red and black wires). Ringer Red>L1 Black>K. Capacitor Slate>K Yellow>L2Y. Capacitor Red>C on coil Black>BK on dial.
Good luck on your wiring. -Howard
see BSP 502-400-100, 502-400-401

The diagram a couple posts back shows a 304/354 with a four wire ringer.
Howard

winkydink

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 05, 2012, 09:00:13 PM
I would wire it like a 302 and see if it rings. Won't hurt anything to try it that way.
In a 302 the 195A condenser is 1/2 mF for the ringer section (yellow and slate wires) and 2 mF for the talk section (red and black wires). Ringer Red>L1 Black>K. Capacitor Slate>K Yellow>L2Y. Capacitor Red>C on coil Black>BK on dial.
Good luck on your wiring. -Howard
see BSP 502-400-100, 502-400-401

The diagram a couple posts back shows a 304/354 with a four wire ringer.

Thanks !  I will try that and report back.

dsk

Use your 4 wire capacitor, and wire it up as regular, if you don't want to put in a third set of contacts in the hook switch, you may just skip the third one. It will work wit any 2 of the 3, but I would prefere to skip the one between dial BB and coil GN and just put a wire between those two.

Almost any ringers will work with your "new" capacitor.

dsk

winkydink

Quote from: d_s_k on April 06, 2012, 07:00:02 AM
Use your 4 wire capacitor, and wire it up as regular, if you don't want to put in a third set of contacts in the hook switch, you may just skip the third one. It will work wit any 2 of the 3, but I would prefere to skip the one between dial BB and coil GN and just put a wire between those two.

Almost any ringers will work with your "new" capacitor.

dsk

So DSK let me see if I have this correct

1)  Replace the 2 wire condenser/Capacitor with a "normal" 4 wire condenser

2) Wire the phone up as if it were a 302

3)  Use the B3A ringer

4)  Connect a wire between Dial "BB" and 101A Induction Coil "GN"

5)  Hope for the best.

dsk

;D Yes!
No 4 only if you don't install the third set of contacts on the hook switch.

Good luck, and let us hear how it turns out.

dsk

winkydink

So DSK let me see if I have this correct

1)  Replace the 2 wire condenser/Capacitor with a "normal" 4 wire condenser

2) Wire the phone up as if it were a 302

3)  Use the B3A ringer

4)  Connect a wire between Dial "BB" and 101A Induction Coil "GN"

5)  Hope for the best.

Quote from: d_s_k on April 06, 2012, 07:33:38 AM
;D Yes!
No 4 only if you don't install the third set of contacts on the hook switch.

Good luck, and let us hear how it turns out.

dsk

Silly question:

Why do I need a wire between dial BB and induction coil GN for the 2 contact switch case.

If I am wiring like a 302 , doesn;'t the 302 only have 2 contact switches ??

dsk

Quote from: winkydink on April 12, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
Silly question:

Why do I need a wire between dial BB and induction coil GN for the 2 contact switch case.

If I am wiring like a 302 , doesn;'t the 302 only have 2 contact switches ??

8) Definitely not silly question. I was at the 354 diagram, not the 302  :-\
Just wire it as  302, that's it. Sorry for confusing you.

dsk

winkydink

Well I did wire the phone up exactly like a 302 and low and behold, it works !

It rings, it dials out and gets a dial tone.

I installed a modular backing plate over the 356 base plate (taken from an old 554 phone).  The phone will now go through a few days of testing before it is sent off to it's final destination.  I think my friend will be pleased with the final result.

Here are some "after" pictures.  I have the phone mounted on my portable "wall" that I made from some scrap wood, for a bit of testing.

dsk