News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need some advises from how to adjust the spring on a dial

Started by Contempra, November 12, 2013, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

May be i'm blind because I can't find a topic on ' how to '... I just need some advises on how to adjust a spring on a dial.. My princess phone works very well but it seems that the dial is a little bit sluggish on the return ;) some of you can advise me.. some of you can advise me as well as helping me.

Sorry for my bad English . However I understand it :D" thanks in advance

WesternElectricBen

Contempra

okay thank you Ben :)..........its the only one who made a video on how to adjust the spring on the governor...no one else .

Jack Ryan

A dial is usually slow because it is dirty or because the governor is out of adjustment – not because the main spring needs adjustment (if that's what you meant).

If you have a Western Electric Princess phone, see Dials, BSP 501-162-100 -5, 6, 7 and 8 type dials - Identification and Maintenance. It is in the TCI library here:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/9007-501-162-100-i7

There is a more recent copy there as well but the pictures are not as good.
Sorry, I don't know of a video.

Jack

Contempra

Thanks Jack but my princess phone is Nothern Telecom and my dial is  8Fa. as far as I know, all the gears are plastic and I can't remove the spring of the governor without dismantling all the dial..I thing that the dial is cheap.... its okay for the moment cause I can dial all numbers when I make a call...

Some pièces are not Western Electric but may be by Nothern Telecom. However the dial is made by WE but all plastic except the governor, spring and the shaft ( governor)........ ouff hard to think and writing in a language who is not mine :) But I learn a lot here about the telephones.

LarryInMichigan

If the dial returns slowly, the problem is most likely dirt in the pivots.  I usually solve the problem by spraying the mechanical parts with electronic contact cleaner and then oiling the pivots very sparingly.

Larry

Contempra

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Contempra on November 13, 2013, 11:46:08 AM
Thanks Jack but my princess phone is Nothern Telecom and my dial is  8Fa.

The #8 dial is covered in the BSP but as mentioned, it is probably dirty.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Sorry about that. BSP = Bell System Practice.

Basically they are the information needed to recognise, service and diagnose Bell equipment such as telephones.

By the way, don't worry about your English; it's fine. I can understand you and I'm sure everyone else can.

Jack

Contempra

ah thanks for the explanation :)...yes they can understand me because they reply me each time Jack.. and welcome to this forum ;)

Contempra

hi y'all...now my Princess dial is cleaned and turn easily :D.. yes some pivots were dirty but now it's marvelous !...;)

Tools : Needle . Qtips, electronic contact cleaner and some drops of sewing oïl and .. voilà.