News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Model 55 - Black

Started by mazda_matt, August 30, 2017, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

We came across this unique telephone today looking through some random boxes.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

19and41

That is mighty attractive.  I like seeing different interpretations of the basic telephone design.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

If it has a metal chassis, it should be marked Fg tist 282b on the bottom.
What other manufacturing codes are on the bottom ?

This appears to have been made for the US market, by reference to the dial face.  Siemens did obtain a US patent for the design of this type, probably to secure that market.  The design won international awards, so copycats may have interfered without.  The black 'color' would be also somewhat unusual for the European market, most made there were kieselgrau, a particular shade of gray, later also a few other colors, but the very early ones could be black and ivory, IIRC.

Pourme

Would that be a design that could be used either as a table top or a wall mount?...It's difficult to determine that from the pictures. It is a good looking phone!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on August 30, 2017, 01:39:54 PM
Would that be a design that could be used either as a table top or a wall mount?...It's difficult to determine that from the pictures. It is a good looking phone!

Benny

Indeed, but the wall version had a different type number.  A picture of the bottom should clarify the situation.

mazda_matt

Quote from: unbeldi on August 30, 2017, 01:34:33 PM
If it has a metal chassis, it should be marked Fg tist 282b on the bottom.
What other manufacturing codes are on the bottom ?

This appears to have been made for the US market, by reference to the dial face.  Siemens did obtain a US patent for the design of this type, probably to secure that market.  The design won international awards, so copycats may have interfered without.  The black 'color' would be also somewhat unusual for the European market, most made there were kieselgrau, a particular shade of gray, later also a few other colors, but the very early ones could be black and ivory, IIRC.

The phone is plastic and there are no markings on the bottom other than the ringer volume. I have attached some picture of the inside, where a serial number is found.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

david@london

a very nice elegant design..........some more information about it on arwin's matilo telephones site here.....

mazda_matt

Quote from: david@london on August 31, 2017, 09:11:44 AM
a very nice elegant design..........some more information about it on arwin's matilo telephones site here.....

Thanks! After I posted the phone on our Facebook, the writer of that webpage reached out to me.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320