News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hey, looky what I just won!!!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, May 21, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Bill , makesure your address is the same for ebay as well as paypal. Since ebay and paypal are bedfellows now, they cross information when you use ebay/paypal.

I had the same problem with unconfirmed address when I moved. updated one, but not the other. Once I made sure both addresses and personal info were the same, no more problem.

Bill Cahill

Neither address has ever been any different. I've lived here over 23 years.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

It came, it came, it came!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just un packed, and, did a quick examination.
No cracks, chips, breakage. Most of the case is still shiny.
The cord still retains some of its' new smell.
It's aged inside, but, not badly.
The date on connection block says 1-69.
Should I just switch phones?
Needs some oiling, as well, but, still minor.
I'm tickled pink!!!!
Bill Cahill   

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

PINK Bill ???
What's up with that.
I knew the truth would come out soomer or later.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

;D I stand corrected. It's used, and, an original 1959 phone!!!!
This is all original!!!

I am posting pictures below.
Note on Dial picture, It retains the old threaded hole for a third mounting screw. Date of  8-59.
Also, I read date on block incorrectly. Sorry for blurred picture. It actually says 3-59.
Microphone says 1-59.
Case has scratches below dial. I can fix that.
This isn't new, but, it is a nice phone.....
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

Bill, is there a date stamped in what looks like ink along the inside edge of the cover?  It may be a soft plastic set if it's from 3-1959.  Is the finger wheel one of the open center type?

Bill Cahill

No, it's hard plastic.
INside chassis says 59.
Latest date is on microphone. Says 10-59.
Nothing stamped, or, written inside of case.
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

There must be a little round circle then on the inside of the cover...with a letter over a number, like C/59 which would be the manufacture date.

Dan/Panther

On Bill's dial it also says 2L7C, in red. What are those numbers.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Dennis, and, Dan.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but, I found out something this morning.
Dennis, do you remember you asking if it had a soft dial?
Well, my newest phone, the '59 model doesn't.

However, my 1964 model does... And, I looked at the dates on that phone. All matching.
That is an original  factory '64 model phone. Even the dial  plate says the same year.
It's case is also hard plastic, far as I can see.

Bad news on my telephone table.
One of the legs broke off today. I found the reason, plus, the reason it was so shaky.
Two of the legs had come loose from their dowels on the center stem.
To compensate for it, someone glued pieces of wood to the other two legs.

The loose legs got looser. As I was using the table, it was getting more wobbly.
The weakest point broke today.
One leg split all the way off with the grain, and, splintered at the end.
It may have been broken in the first place, as it was one of the loose legs.
Now, I have major repairing to do to get this table back to usable condition.
>:( >:( >:( :o :( >:(
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

Dan, I don't know what the 2L indicates.  Perhaps a service code of some type.  The 7C probably refers to the model number.

Bill Cahill

For anybody interested, here are final pictures on my restoration of my just received phone.
There is some slight fading in the middle frnot of case.
I've polished the heck out of this phone. Hope to hang it up in place of other phone today.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Got the phone mounted, and, working. It was wired for a party line, so, I had to correct that.
I'm having a problem with the case. I get the top bracket in the groove, snap the bottom half in, then, to top pops back off.
What's going on?
Other than that, and, my top anchor bolt isn't working right phone is fine....
Looks very nice on the wall, and, the bell is nice, and, loud.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Repaired one table leg earlier. This afternoon, found other weak spot.
Dried out glue, and, rear leg cracked. I just repaired it an hour ago.
Tommorrow it should be back to usable condition, again.
I think I'll do some refinnishing, first.
I really like this style of telephone table.
Bill Cahill

McHeath

Gee Bill you have been one busy man today!  You're making me tired just reading about your exploits.

Like this phone a lot, it's just like the one we had in our kitchen as a kid and probably from about the same time.  I have a 59' model 554 as well, but it's a Frankenmess of a phone, so it's hanging in the garage instead of inside.  You did a really nice clean up.  I bet some sanding would take that fading away, but that's one hairy can of worms to open up.

Too bad on the table legs.  Fixing old wood that has broken is tough for me, I'm not that skilled.