News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dan the telephone prop man!

Started by Greg G., November 17, 2017, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

That was a highly interesting read in the recent Singing Wires about Dan Golden.  Mother's Magnesium Wheel polish is now on my shopping list.  Does anybody know if he worked on Mad Men?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

I don't know, but he often talks about how he provides phones and working key systems for television and movies.  He used to be the on-site Pacific Telephone guy at the studios. He also mentions how he still has contacts in the industry.

I have been to his house and he has stated much of his collection came from the prop departments. His collection is a large museum onto itself.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on November 17, 2017, 02:01:59 PM
Does anybody know if he worked on Mad Men?

Several of us provided phones for Mad Men -- often working through Richard Rose, who was a major provider for the series -- and several films. 

Phoneco has provided phones for quite a few productions.  I have provided phones for several films and a bunch of smaller stage productions. It's an interesting process.

BTW, Singing Wires had an earlier article on some of the movies Dan has worked on. See the April 2012 issue.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on November 17, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
Several of us provided phones for Mad Men -- often working through Richard Rose, who was a major provider for the series -- and several films. 

Phoneco has provided phones for quite a few productions.  I have provided phones for several films and a bunch of smaller stage productions. It's an interesting process.

BTW, Singing Wires had an earlier article on some of the movies Dan has worked on. See the April 2012 issue.

Found it, another great article!  I guess I should read the newsletters more often.  Even though his technical descriptions of the work involved were over my head, they were none-the-less fascinating in that it gave great insight to the huge amount of work involved and technical knowledge needed in just a telephone call scene!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e