News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telechron 7H141

Started by 19and41, April 10, 2015, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on it's own to mark the repair and cleaning of this old unit.  I am now working on the alarm set feature.  I have managed to get the set knob and shaft separated from a brass collar/ spacer that rested on top of the gear that engages the gear in the movement that rotates the alarm hand.  there is no apparent connection between the gear and the spacer/collar nor shaft.  At this point, I am considering soldering the spacer/collar to the gear to make it one piece and then the knob and shaft is a force fit to the collar/spacer.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well, I used a drill bit just smaller than the inside diameter of the spacer where the spline end of the shaft press fits and used it to keep the spacer and gear in alignment on my panavise.  with a good cleaning and fluxing, I got a fully filleted joint between the spacer and gear with just a small bit of dribble.  That was easily removed with my trusty Xacto knife.  I'll try to get a pic to show what the parts look like.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Here is an illustration of the assembled gear and spacer on the drill bit, one of the gear/spacer and alarm set shaft  and the whole affair slipped together.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I installed the alarm set assembly and  It works nicely.  I was a bit early on saying the clock works, though.  The second hand operates and the alarm sets and operates, but the hour and minute hands do not move under the motors' drive.   They do when setting the clock.
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

The gear is supposed to stay permanently attached the the shaft, but that sleeve should not.  If the scond hand moves, but the others do not, the problem is most likely a slipping clutch.  There is a very hrlpful forum for Telechron collectors at: www.telechron.net/galvanic.

Larry

19and41

Thanks, I had found that site.  Do you know how to register on the site?  I have tried and tried and it keeps putting up "an error has occurred" message.
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: 19and41 on April 11, 2015, 11:05:58 PM
Thanks, I had found that site.  Do you know how to register on the site?  I have tried and tried and it keeps putting up "an error has occurred" message.

I registered there quite a long time ago.  Perhaps they are having a problem now.  If you send me your email address, I can send a message to the forum owner.  That forum uses the same software as this one.

Larry

19and41

On the alarm set assembly, The collar is the only part that would fasten to the shaft.  The hole in the center of the gear won't even touch the shaft.  I don't know how how the gear was originally attached to the shaft.  I can only imagine there was once some sort of material on the gears' inner wall.  The way the assembly was found was that the collar was on the shaft and the gear was flopping around on the exposed shaft end.  It works well as it is now, though.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I haven't had too much time to work on the unit, but I ran it after giving it a quick look over.  the unit would drive the sweep hand but nothing else.  After putting it up for awhile, I decided to go ahead and align all the hands, remove the hands and face, scribe the shafts, disconnect the field windings and do some cleaning and lubrication on it.  I had a small soft plastic cap of the right size and put some lighter fluid in it and placed it over the shafts, so the fluid could travel through the shafts by capillary action and exit through the mechanism side as I manually operated the mechanism with the set knob.  I passed about 4 capfuls through the shafts and flushed off the mechanism, allowing all this to drain through the bottom of the assembly.  I then used a degreasing solvent on the clutch for good measure and applied a few minutes of the hair dryer to insure the solvents were evaporated. I then applied a light bit of 10W-30 Mobil 1 and wiped away any excess.  I then aligned the shafts, placed the hands, clipped power to the field coil and ran the clock for 3 hours open in the vise.  Then I reassembled the clock and have been burning it in for about 20 hours now.  There are some slow spots with the mechanism, but the sweep keeps pace with my atomic digital clock.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well, the clock slowly started developing more slow areas.  I disassembled the unit and carefully examined it and found that the spring that tensions the clutch is too loose to get drive to the mechanism.  In the meantime I have found a parts clock with a enclosure that at least looks better in the auction pictures.  If for absolutely nothing else it should be a guide for coming back from a complete disassembly of the mechanism.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well, I am finally just about finished with it.  It is now keeping good time, apace with the quartz wall clock.  Here are a couple of pics of it.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

A few days ago, I opened it up to make some adjustments to the alarm. Reassembled it and set it by my auto setting watch and it had run dead on time since.  I am impressed.  I thought it would take more finiggaling to get it right.  The sweep crosses 12 at each program change on tv.  The minute hand is right on each time as well.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE40FAN

The case appears to be in exceptional condition!

19and41

Thanks.  Some are in mighty bad shape from either sitting in the sun or from heat generated by the clocks' movement.  It causes fissures in the plastic and clouds beneath the plastics' surface.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bridie

Beautiful!  I have that model, it sits on my mantle and keeps perfect time.
Bridget