News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Type 60 - Dialling makes other phones on the line ring

Started by Canuck, February 17, 2013, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

I just got this American Electric Company phone. I think I hooked it up correctly but when we dial out the other phones in the house will ring.
Is it hooked up correctly?

thanks for any help

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum.

The phone is made by Automatic Electric.  Your connection to the line is correct.  When I first read the title of your post, I thought the problem might be due to aging capacitors in the phone.  However, when I look at your photo, there are what looks like two later model capacitors shown that have either been added or have been installed as replacements for the originals.

I would look to see if the values of the replacements are correct, and also look to see if the original caps are still in the circuit or not.
-Bill G

Canuck

I have no idea on how to check this, can you tell me how?
Thank you

poplar1

The capacitors are the two newer looking yellow things. One is marked 4.32 uF. The other one is probably labeled on the side not shown in the photo.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

I neglected tomention that a common way ro reduce the effect of this problem would be to reverse the polarity of the connection of the phone to the line.  Just switch the two wires on the terminals 1 and 2 in the phone.  That "fix" may or may not work.

To check the caps (those two square bright yellow components), we would need to know their values, and to check to see if the old caps are still in place, we would need some photos of the rest of the inside of the phone. The capacitors (also called simply caps) are soldered in place, so experimenting may involve the need to delsolder them.  However, I amy be getting too far ahead.

Try reversing the line first and see what happens.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Anyone know if this is a Type 42? What is the "Waystation Filter"? Is this one of the AE Railroad phones?

Terry

poplar1

I don't see a dial, ringer or capacitors in the diagram. So I'm not sure the diagram will help much.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

The diagram is for a local battery telephone, those coils are rare, and may even be used in a central battery signalling, local battery speaking setup.

Anyway, it is a great telephone, it has been modified some, so it is impossible to tell. Maybe detaild pictures of the telephone inside may help.  The coil in the diagram should have some stamps saying D283022A

dsk

Phonesrfun

Now that I look carefully, it does appear that the original configuration, according to the schematic is that of a non-dial local battery phone, with battery connections to 3 and 4 on the terminal strip.

I wonder why those connections are notlabeled BAT.  It is going to be difficult to troubleshoot this one.

There is also no ringer shown in the diagram.  I wonder if it has one now.
-Bill G

Canuck

Reversing the wire seems to have worked.
Here are the requested photos.

thanks for the help

AE_Collector

A 20 cycle party line ringer but you might get lucky and it may just work. Did you say that this phone WILL ring on incoming calls?

I suspect that it was one of the very many "Railroad phones" that show up on ebaY etc. They were designed to have a LOT of phones all on the same line and seerated by long distances along railway lines. They were not dial phones and were not a normal phone that could be hooked up to a conventional phone line. But, that isn't to say that it may not be able to be converted/modified to work on a conventional phone line.

Terry

Canuck

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 17, 2013, 01:15:02 PM
A 20 cycle party line ringer but you might get lucky and it may just work. Did you say that this phone WILL ring on incoming calls?

I suspect that it was one of the very many "Railroad phones" that show up on ebaY etc. They were designed to have a LOT of phones all on the same line and seerated by long distances along railway lines. They were not dial phones and were not a normal phone that could be hooked up to a conventional phone line. But, that isn't to say that it may not be able to be converted/modified to work on a conventional phone line.

Terry

It does ring on incoming calls, the problem was it would ring my house phones once when I dialed out switching the wires seems to have fixed that.

dsk

:D So now its working  :)

This rewiring looks like what I did my-selves many years ago. It could very well be working, but for later it could be smart to make a diagram.  

Following the wires and draw a sketch.

dsk

Phonesrfun

You can't argue with success.  Now, looking at the pictures, it is quite modified from its original configuration, butwhat the heck.  At least they mostly used AE parts for the mod.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

I'll put my 2 cents in.... A.E and W.E phone are incompatable... I had the same problem... when dialing out, the phone get a "bell Tap" and its because of the diffence in the capacitors... I was once told to reverse the polarity and that would help, but its just the design of the phones... I learned to keep Western electric with its  own kind and Automatic Electric with its own kind.... they don't always like each other when used together!
John