News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft plastic gray model 500!!!

Started by LM Ericsson, June 14, 2011, 04:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

This weekend, I went to the TCI Lancaster telephone show and picked up this jewel. It is from February of '59 and with matching dates. The seller told me that there was a crack near the dial that was repaired. It was repaired very well. I did not have to do much cleaning on this telephone. If anybody wants to see more pictures please ask. I will be very happy to post more.
Regards,
-Grayson

ESalter

That's a really nice looking 500!  I like the numbercard too.  There's something about those old 500s that I like, even the "plain" black ones get me.

JimH

Looks like you got a good one!  Makes me wonder a couple of things:  When did Ma Bell start using the "round" four prong plugs?   I want to say in the mid-sixties?  I know before that they had the 283B plugs I've just seen in brown or ivory.  Second....I've found late 50s 500s with the "wait of dial tone" dial cards.....does anyone know if you really had to "wait" as late as 1959?  Or was this just tradition or carry-over?
Jim H.

bingster

What a great example!  And the HYacinth-4 exchange sounds like it must have been in a beautiful place, doesn't it?
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

This is a beautiful set. 2-59 barely still soft plastic. Mine is 6-4-59 so it was the month of switchover and mine is still soft plastic.

Quote from: bingster on June 15, 2011, 02:39:49 AM
What a great example!  And the HYacinth-4 exchange sounds like it must have been in a beautiful place, doesn't it?

Meanwhile in downtown New York;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LM Ericsson

I know ;D This is my first actual soft plastic set and it is a rare color too!!!
Regards,
-Grayson