"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Never seen a rotary dial like this one.

Started by N7LTH, January 11, 2016, 08:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Wow! What an interesting combination.

The phone looks like one of those AE look-alikes that uses a 51AL base. It has an AE Type 52 (I think) dial.

If the dial can generate 11 pulses, it is one of many AE control dials with the wrong number plate (and wrong centre).

If the dial can only generate 10 pulses, it is a standard dial with the wrong finger wheel (and wrong centre).

Check the dial and see if it can generate 11 pulses or post some good pictures of the rear of the dial.

Thanks

Regards
Jack

Dan/Panther

Is it an illusion in the photo, or does it appear that the blank space on the dial, seems to be the same distance as on a 10 digit dial ? It almost appears in some of the photos posted that the dials also appear larger diameter ?
Or should I put the pipe down.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 12, 2016, 02:47:19 PM
Is it an illusion in the photo, or does it appear that the blank space on the dial, seems to be the same distance as on a 10 digit dial ? It almost appears in some of the photos posted that the dials also appear larger diameter ?

D/P

You would need to compare the finger wheels from the same type of dial. The dial in question is an AE dial, the finger wheel you posted is from a WE dial. WE dials and AE dials have a different a interdigit delay (therefore a different space between the 1 and the 0 holes.

Jack

rdelius

That dial is a standard one pulled out of an 80 E set with a sticker with letters and numbers,fingerwheel and sided painted.I think the black finger stop changes how the distance looks between the 0 and 1 holes.Phoneco modified dial

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on January 12, 2016, 10:22:22 PM
That dial is a standard one pulled out of an 80 E set with a sticker with letters and numbers,fingerwheel and sided painted.I think the black finger stop changes how the distance looks between the 0 and 1 holes.Phoneco modified dial

Which dial are you referring to? The dial that is the subject of the thread has 11 finger holes.

Jack

N7LTH

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 12, 2016, 08:47:36 AM
Wow! What an interesting combination.

The phone looks like one of those AE look-alikes that uses a 51AL base. It has an AE Type 52 (I think) dial.

If the dial can generate 11 pulses, it is one of many AE control dials with the wrong number plate (and wrong centre).

If the dial can only generate 10 pulses, it is a standard dial with the wrong finger wheel (and wrong centre).

Check the dial and see if it can generate 11 pulses or post some good pictures of the rear of the dial.

Thanks

Regards
Jack

I'm now beginning to think that the dial is original; in another thread, Doug Rose posted a NOS dial virtually identical to the one on my phone (wouldn't mind finding one of those for restoration). Shown here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13707.0

On another note, I posted my telephone photo on Facebook and it has generated quite a discussion from my FB friends as to what it could have been used for...
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

rdelius

I was refering to the dial D/P posted ,not the one with extra holes

poplar1

Quote from: N7LTH on January 13, 2016, 06:58:51 AM

I'm now beginning to think that the dial is original; in another thread, Doug Rose posted a NOS dial virtually identical to the one on my phone (wouldn't mind finding one of those for restoration). Shown here:

The dial in Doug's original post (February 16, 2015, 10:40:40 AM) is quite different: notice that the finger stop is mounted on the inside of the case, not on the outside with a Phillips screw. The inside finger stop mount allows the dial to fit in phones that take a recessed dial.

Sorry to disappoint, but your phone is probably a product of the master "cobbler," Ron Knappen of phoneco, Galesville, WI. They use repro WE Candlestick bases and AE dials that originally had extended number plates from 1960s-1970s era AE 80s and 90s.

http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=main&category=Art&topic=01035
http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=main&category=CandPart&topic=01025

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on January 13, 2016, 09:45:35 AM

But that one has 11 holes.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: N7LTH on January 13, 2016, 06:58:51 AM

On another note, I posted my telephone photo on Facebook and it has generated quite a discussion from my FB friends as to what it could have been used for...

The dial Doug posted is an AE dial but a different type - probably a Type 51A. It appears to be a configured to generate 10 pulses but has the wrong finger wheel on it.

I can't tell how many pulses your dial generates without a good picture of the rear but it is not original as is.

As I indicated before, I believe your phone is a combination of reproduction and recycled parts.

Are the facebook comments in a public place?

Jack

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 13, 2016, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: rdelius on January 13, 2016, 09:45:35 AM

But that one has 11 holes.

Jack

Not only does it have 11 holes, but it appears to me to be a crop of the original poster's photo that Dan marked with arrows to show the spacing between the first and last hole; so they are one and the same.
Cliff

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 12, 2016, 05:20:47 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 12, 2016, 02:47:19 PM

D/P

You would need to compare the finger wheels from the same type of dial. The dial in question is an AE dial, the finger wheel you posted is from a WE dial. WE dials and AE dials have a different a interdigit delay (therefore a different space between the 1 and the 0 holes.

Jack

Yes but the dials are the same diameter, so unless the holes are different size that should not matter which dial I use to compare the spacing. So the holes would have to be smaller, closer together, or the dial itself would have to be slightly larger, which it does not appear to be.
I over layed the two photos, to show the spacing of the finger holes.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 13, 2016, 01:11:06 PM
Yes but the dials are the same diameter, so unless the holes are different size that should not matter which dial I use to compare the spacing. So the holes would have to be smaller, closer together, or the dial itself would have to be slightly larger, which it does not appear to be.
I over layed the two photos, to show the spacing of the finger holes.

Yes, that is true. I mis-understood the point you were making - sorry about that.

Jack

AE_Collector

I am going to say that there are some good points in the hole size and hole spacing part of this discussion. I have noticed what D/P was pointing out as well but never really paid it any attention. I don't have any protractors or means to do any accurate measurements here. But I do have a spare chromed AE fingerwheel sitting here which I placed directly on top of a couple of other AE fingerwheels (both a metal one and a plastic one) except off set so that the holes on my spare finger wheel sit over the blank space on the other fingerwheels.

There is almost exactly room for three more finger holes in the blank area of an AE fingerwheel. That would mean that there is room for 13 fingerholes in a 3" AE fingerwheel.

Then I put the spare AE fingerwheel over a WECo dial and there is really only room for two more fingerholes in the blank space of a 3" WECo fingerwheel so room for only 12 finger holes in a WECo 3" fingerwheel. Additionally, the spacing IS slightly different between the two, obviously it has to be in order to fit one more finger hole into the same diameter AE fingerwheel as compared to a WECo fingerwheel. The AE finger holes are either slightly smaller or are slightly closer together or likely both.

Putting 11 fingerholes into an AE fingerwheel and comparing that to a normal 10 hole WECo fingerwheel makes the blank area on both fingerwheels almost identical in size.

Terry

Jack Ryan

I haven't made any measurements myself but based on AE's own documents, the finger hole size was increased on the 1918 version of the Mercedes dial but the additional interdigit delay wasn't added until 1926 with the release of the Type 24 dial - the so called "delayed impulse dial".

The Western Electric dial was based on the earlier AE dial with the smaller interdigit delay.

Jack