"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dali "Lobster" repro

Started by gpo706, December 18, 2010, 07:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Quote -

"This is unique and bizarre telephone, produced for a customer who wanted to pay homage to Salvadore Dali.

It is made along the lines of Dali's own surrealist lobster telephones, which we believe only 4 exist (all in museums).

Dali had the idea of how ridiculous it would be to be seen to be talking to a lobster when the handset is held to the head.

It is alledged that there is further dark humour in that you are talking to the lobster's genitals when on the phone!

The telephone itself is an original GPO 200 set which was purchased for the specific purpose of modifying with the plastic lobster - it is adapted for modern use with a new microphone and plug-in cord as well as the addition of a small internal bell to make it ring.

There is a further twist to this phone when you open the drawer at the front as it contains a photo of Dali rather than the telephone numbers you might expect.

The phone is very good condition although there is a very small crack to the base, shown in the last photo - hardly noticable and at the back of the phone.

This would be the ultimate surreal Christmas present for a Dali fan! Even the person "who has everything" will appreciate this item!"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280604923118
( dead link 01-21-22 )

Hi, SANTA, WHERE ARE YOU?

I'd love this!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

Oh dear.  I know the first thing I would do if I bought it.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
That would be the second thing I would do. The first would be to make sure I didn't tell anyone...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

One could always use that phone when they were feeling crabby.  Or if the other phones weren't available it would work in a pinch.

Dan

Is the lobster soft tenite or ABS plastic, or possibly bakelite?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

gpo706

It's actually an utter rip-off.

Lookee here -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25cms-HARD-PLASTIC-LOBSTER-seaside-life-NEW-/130439585910?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item1e5ece2076

Needless to say I have ordered mine, looks familiar eh?

Get a cracked GPO162 and sellotape a five quid plastic lobster on it - result 250 quid!

Here's the real thing:

http://www.vestaldesign.com/blog/2005/07/lobster-telephone/

So it also came in white, if you read the link above it claims that Ma Bell were going to make them!

You wont find that in a BSP!

Also, apperently according to the descriptions given on various gallery sites the "handset" is made of plaster.

gpo706

I've ordered my plastic lobster from that bloke on ebay.

Now, before anybody here starts on me, I PROMISE I will not deface any of my American sets with it.

(Unless anyone requests a pic).

bingster

I wouldn't like to see a British set defaced, either!  Unless it's junky and faded, then anything goes.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

There is certainly a cool factor in these crustacean communicators.  But, as someone who is not a big fan of sea-bugs I'd probably not be in the market for one. :)

gpo706

McHeath, I'm a big aficionado of the Surrealists, so this will look good on my non-working display 232, it'll ony be sticky padded on, I'm looking to drill holes in the handset!

For the record I love Magritte or Man Ray over Dali..

HarrySmith

Thought I would resurrect this thread with another "lobster phone" from eBay! This one is a "prototype". Not much to say about it ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120941336754
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MagicMo

Hey,
My hubby has the same exact phone, I found it in his clawset! I asked why he never let me use it before and he told he was just being shellfish!
ba-dum-dum!
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on April 12, 2013, 07:21:52 PM
Hey,
My hubby has the same exact phone, I found it in his clawset! I asked why he never let me use it before and he told he was just being shellfish!
ba-dum-dum!
Mo

That is sooo bad, Maureen! :) Has to be a tall tail!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Hmmm.

Curiouser, and curiouser.

I've previously seen the apparently no-longer rare, Crustacean handset covers. How very refreshing to see they now also come in a multitude of colors. Yay.

What befuddles me, on the most recent pic, is trying to determine the date of the phone.

The dial, case, finger wheel, long cord, handset? I'm learning many of the signs, and can narrow it down to a relatively short period of history, based solely upon the one photo... BUT I have zero data on the seemingly wooden, ball feet on the 500 series.

This could, potentially, cause an irreparable rift in the Time / Analog Phone Continuum, as perceived from here...

Wile E. Coyote moment, actually! (Back to the drawing board) ;) Hope I have lots of Acme chalk, hereabouts!

I know, I know....(sigh) 'Check the BSP's'

Thanks, anyhows. ;D ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus