NOS Car Phone

Started by Doug Rose, April 25, 2018, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sigmaz on April 26, 2018, 11:07:21 PM
That Phillips screw through the center of the dial makes it look suspect to me.
But what do I know?
Since I don't really have much of a reputation to uphold here yet I'll call BS on this one for you guys.

It's not like Motorola to leave major components of a device hanging in the breeze.
The units I've seen with dials have them well integrated, not dangling from a project box.
But I could be wrong...but here is a white paper on what appears to be this unit... no mention of an AE dial... :P

I agree....the dial bothered me. I asked for pics but received none....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I saw one of those years ago, and I thought it had the same dial. But did an image search and found nothing.
Has anyone noticed the F handset on it? It could be early 60's and perhaps Motorola used that handset, instead of a G1. I thought the box deal the dial was mounted was a project box, but after looking at it more I don't think so.
Just thought it strange that Philips screws were at each corner, when every thing else would have then in the rear.
My guess is it's a prototype. Or very early version of this type of phone.
KEN

AE_Collector

Agree with Jon...poorly integrated dial so maybe a later upgrade by Telco to a dial system? No idea whether you could actually dial another user or if the dial was to.seldct the radio channel. It is an AE dial and the odd fingerstop location (which I have seen before) combined with it being a numbers only dial does make it potentially correct....sort of.

There is an AE advertisement showing many of their 1960's telephone models including a mobile radiotelephone head that is the nearest looking one I've ever seen. Now if I could just find my picture of the advertisement.

Terry

HarrySmith

Is the dial wired in to the phone? It may be someone thought it would look cool with a dial so they just screwed one on the front that they had laying around!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

The handset and cradle looks genuine.  the dial is mounted onto a project box with a aluminum cover beneath the dial.  It could have been used for 2-way or amateur radio as opposed to telco provided mobile phone services.  Amateur phone patch systems have been popular for years now.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on April 27, 2018, 08:53:06 AM
I saw one of those years ago, and I thought it had the same dial. But did an image search and found nothing.
Has anyone noticed the F handset on it? It could be early 60's and perhaps Motorola used that handset, instead of a G1. I thought the box deal the dial was mounted was a project box, but after looking at it more I don't think so.
Just thought it strange that Philips screws were at each corner, when every thing else would have then in the rear.
My guess is it's a prototype. Or very early version of this type of phone.

I think the top is the unit. The lower dial box is a seperate unit.
Just a guess,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.