News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where can I find a subset for a W.E. D-1 mount phone?

Started by foots, May 07, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I'm in need of a subset for my phone and was wondering if any of you may know of a source for one besides E-bay. I often see lots of phones for sale, but not very many subsets. I'm anxious to try out my new phone.
Oh, btw, does anybody know if the round black rubber cords are correct for this type of phone or should they be cloth?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

benhutcherson

Here's a thread I posted about a while back about a home-grown one

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=757.msg8929#msg8929

Not pretty, but cheap and functional

Sargeguy

I think eBay may be your best bet.  I have bought several off of eBay for $25-50.  I have searched in vain for another source that isn't asking $150 with no luck.  Maybe the ATCA board or TCI?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve K

Sargeguy is right about eBay.  Thay come up every few minutes!

Both rubber and cloth cords are correct for your phone.

Steve

bingster

I agree.  If you want the genuine article, ebay's the place to go.  I've been tracking subset prices for a few months and they go for an average of $45.  Anyplace else will ask at least three times that amount (and often four or five times that amount) for a subset.  But if you don't care about getting an original, Ben's homebrew subset is a great solution.

Rubber and cloth cords are both appropriate for a D-mount.  The earlier ones had cloth cords, the later ones, rubber.  But the choice is really a matter of personal preference at this point.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

And we should mention the 302 used as a subset solution.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

foots

Sareguy, are you trying to make me get another phone? Actually, a 302 is already on my list, metal body of course. I think I came across a post about this actually. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a subset though. Is there any particular model I should be looking out for?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bingster

You can use most steel or bakelite Western Electric subsets for a D-mount.  A 534 or 584 will give 102 (sidetone) service, and a 634 or 684 will give 202 (anti-sidetone) service with a four-conductor mounting cord.  If you decide on a subset with a bakelite cover (such as a 684), make sure it's not damaged, because they're frequently broken around the vents.

You can also use a more modern 685 subset in a pinch, but using one necessitates some wiring modifications inside the phone, and the use of a five-conductor mounting cord.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on May 08, 2009, 12:16:23 PM

You can also use a more modern 685 subset in a pinch, but using one necessitates some wiring modifications inside the phone, and the use of a five-conductor mounting cord.

I've been using the 4 conductor on my 202/stick phones with the 685. Works well. Now, how I wired it is another story. I have it disconnected now and would need to go back and do it again if interested. But, I changed nothing in the phones themselves.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

You don't have to connect the two black conductors and the two red conductors inside a 202?
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on May 08, 2009, 02:04:43 PM
You don't have to connect the two black conductors and the two red conductors inside a 202?

Bing, I'll go through it later on and see exactly what I did. I honestly cannot remember how I got around it. it's been a few months. I had one hooked for testing after playing with it awhile, but never bothered to record my connections.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI