News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The "Golden" Phone

Started by Babybearjs, February 02, 2017, 03:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I came across a picture of a multiline phone that was made with a "Gold" finish... does anyone know how many of these phones were made in this style? the phone were from the 500 series and I'd like to know how popular they used to be...
John

Jim Stettler

I assume you are reffering to the Imperial-type "flashed" finish. There are also the painted sets like auction contest #259
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17571.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have   a silver "flashed" multiline. Mine is 25,000th set that was installed by the issuing company in their 25th year . It came out of Oakridge Tenn. It was installed in a nuclear related facility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have/seen  gold 500's, 2500's, princess. I have a unusual gold "flashed " trimline housing.
Some sets are full flash set w/ backpainted dials, and others are more "Imperial" with standard dials and handsets.  I have also seen the silver "flashed" sets, and I have seen these type phones as WE and SC,(probably others as well).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WE "Flashed" every 1,000,000 telephone and it was presented to an employee. The 1-in-a-million sets seem to typically be heavily date stamped with the full date, and more dates than typical.  These were always WE sets vs Bell sets .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WE also had a 1-in-a-billion set. That was a "gold" plated trimline with a medallion on the back that said it was 1 in-a-1,000,000,000.
I have handled that set. It was being offered as trade for a Blake transmitter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have a "textured" flashed set that was a sample finish for recycling phones. There were 3 of the sample phones, silver, gold and I think the third was copper. Mine is the gold one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a gold "flashed"  WE 2500 it was made as a  "lamp" It appears to of been created as a retirement gift. It is a Bell system housing on an empty W/Y base (5/70) it is not a W/Y housing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The finish on flashed telephones is not super durable.  most show wear.

JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

Kind of....   there was a gold 564 dated from the late 50's on ebay. it sold for $129.00.... I was hoping to grab it but, forgot the auction and lost out. hope I can grab another one someday.
John

Jim Stettler

Oh this one.  Ebay 122327908752 . I watched it. I was willing to bid $225.00 on it, If I had spare phone cash. I didn't have spare cash. I did have a $90.00 snipe, but I wasn't surprised that it sold for more, I expected it to close at closer to $200.

JMO,
Please feel free to post the photos.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

JimHyak

I was the one who got it. I'm glad you didn't have any spare "phone cash", sounds like I saved $100. I think my max bid was in the same ballpark.
Unfortunately the glue residue on the front looks like clear epoxy, I don't think it's removable without pulling off the plating. Maybe with some heat, but I would rather leave it than cause further damage. It probably had a tag commemorating something or someone, too bad it was pulled off.

Like yourself Jim, I go for the clear, the shiny, and the special colors. I also like the mushrooms, awhile back I paid a pretty penny for a Kellogg Turquoise mushroom. Before that I didn't know Kellogg even made the mushroom phone. I just wish I could find my WE 500 green/white swirl. It got misplaced in the move, I hope it will turn up. It's the only one I've seen with everything swirled but the dial plate.

Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Jim Stettler

I am glad you got it Jim. There is only a few collectors that chase the special finish sets. I decided that I can't spend much on telephones unless the money is already in hand from selling other phones. Eventually I will start selling (and buying) again.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,