News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Merry Christmas!

Started by Dan/Panther, December 10, 2008, 08:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may the new year bring plenty of rotary phones to you. I've posted this picture before, but it bears repeating. Here's what you can do with all those pesky promotional keychains. There are Princesses, 500s and Trimlines on there. Yes, it's a bit tacky, but it gets the job done. The phone is one of my favorites, a dark gray with a black dial, from 1954. Most of my guests notice the tree and not the phone.

Also, this is the time of year to count your blessings. Remember those who may be having a rough time this year and give something to your favorite charity or donate your time to a worthy cause.
Jonathan

jiggerman

Nice retro Christmas tree, the phone isn't too shabby either !! Jiggerman

HobieSport

I like your "tacky" and "retro" Xmas tree too, Jonathan. That's what I should do next Xmas when I'm living in my 1954 classic trailer: Get an artificial tree. It will fit right in with my somewhat "tacky" 1950s trailer motif, in a good way. I don't use real trees anymore because of the fire hazard and all the fir needles everywhere. Those pesky needles and tree pitch could really mess up getting clogged inside a telephone... :P

And yes, everyone, count our blessings indeed. Lot's of folks having very rough times, loosing their homes, struggling for employment etc.  I almost lost my home last week until I finally found someone to lease my house and I am now downsizing by moving into my trailer. Yes, it's just a big funky (and yes, "tacky") old trailer, but it's big enough for all my needs and I'm happy in it. Plus, by leasing out my home, I'm helping someone else have a place to live. Downsize, Consolidate, Simplify one's life to the important basics that we really need to be happy. Sell all the stuff that I don't need, etc.. That's my motto for the new year. :)
-Matt

jiggerman

When I was a kid growing up in the 50's I always wanted an aluminum Christmas tree but my folks also thought they were too tacky. I found a small 4 footer in a garage sale this summer. I finally convinced my wife I was going to put it up as long as we have a real tree to go with it. I'll try and post a pic of the tree if I have the time.

We do have a lot to be thankful for. As HobieSport mentioned a lot of people are going through tough times. I'll been working as a shipper in a manufacturing plant for the last 37 years and only working 2 days a week for the past year. Thankfully my wife has a steady job so we are getting by. I want to wish everyone a very Merry and Happy Christmas and the best in the coming year, Jiggerman

Dennis Markham

Jiggerman, have you seen what those aluminum trees are bringing on eBay?  You know the ones from back in the 60's.  The aluminum trees that were merely wooden rods with holes drilled and the "branches" were then stuck in the holes. The motorized color wheel that would shine on them changed them from Green, to Red, to Yellow, or Blue or whatever color.  They go for a pretty penny these days.  They were "ultra modern" in the mid-1960's.

I will echo what others have said here too.  I'm very grateful for my family and friends, to have a roof over my head and a furnace to keep it all warm.   I make an effort to reach into my pocket each time I pass one of the bell ringers from the Salvation Army.  A little goes a long way with the work that they do.  There are many great charitable organizations that do a great job, but especially now they need our help.  For the price of a vintage Model 500 someone can have a warm meal on Christmas and into the New Year.

bingster

Here's mine.  It's a little one that my parents bought in the 1960s.  I have a six footer with a rotator and color wheel, but I don't have enough space to put it up anymore. :(

Happy Space-Age Christmas!
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Cool Jonathan, thanks for posting!  I want one!  Guess I'll have to get one off eBay.  We did have a small one too in about 1965, complete with the rotating color wheel.

HobieSport

Ah, Xmas Memories from the 60s:

Like Dennis, as a kid circa '65, we also had a rotating color wheel. We'd put it right under the tree and let it shine up through the branches. It was a very cool effect. Even the cats were fascinated with it.

Our Xmas trees were always the real thing, and we used to make fun of the "fake" trees. (I don't anymore.) Our trees were always as big as we could get; about six feet in diameter and from floor to ceiling, even though our house was fairly small. We had a big double bed sized couch next to the tree and we would just lay there with my Mom or Dad and stare at the tree for hours. My friends and I would also stay overnight and sleep under the tree sometimes.

Just finding the trees each year was an all day adventure. The Santa Cruz and Watsonville mountains (central Calif coast) were dotted with small family Xmas tree farms, and we would drive around all day and look at every tree at every farm before we chose one and cut it ourselves. Usually it was some big neglected tree in the corner of a nice old man's tree farm, one that he had "let go" and had stopped pruning because it was too big to sell. So he'd let us have it for about 5 bucks. We'd stuff it into our van, drive it home, prune it to fit, and put it into a bucket with bricks and water to keep it fresh. We'd keep it set up for all of December.

Our whole small town (La Selva Beach) looked great during Xmas. Down the center islands of our double main street were, and still are, large 75 foot high Port Orford cedars, and every year the fire department hangs them with the big old fashioned colored lights. A lot of people lit their houses, too. So almost every frosty evening in December we would talk walks with the whole family and friends all around town and just enjoy it all.

Ya know, I miss all those cheery lights. I might just have to turn into one of those "redneck trailer trash" folks who keep a few Xmas lights year round... ;)
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 22, 2009, 01:12:04 AM
... And that Santa Pic is just a little creepy.

Yeah.  How about something a little more cheerful:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Hmm. I might just have to use that pic on my Facebook page to wish all my friends a merry Xmas... :o

But if you think that's scary...how about Santa on a cell phone? Now that's scary!
-Matt

foots

Hobie, at least your Santa ain't driving.  Briny, that's a cool looking Santa picture.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

-Matt

Jim Stettler

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, to One and All.
I hope Santa brings you something you Leich.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bellsystemproperty

Merry Christmas and be good! Don't be like this kitteh!

bellsystemproperty

Look at the look on the cats face and its eye! It looks so evil!  ;D