News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what make and model is this?

Started by mark9564, January 18, 2015, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9564

I'm putting parts together for my box of junk that I purchased. Not sure if all these belong together but they all fit and it is what I had. Does it look like any phone model, there are no markings on the case , so that is no help.

wds

It looks like a AE phone with some WE parts on it.  The receiver arm and transmitter looks WE, the receiver is either WE or Am. E.  Maybe have been put together with various manufacturer parts. 
Dave

mark9564

I've got everything working except the dial, not a clue how it gets wired.

wds

Can you post a picture of the ringer side of the insides?
Dave

unbeldi

The dial in your phone is not the standard AE type found on AE phones, but is most likely compatible with the Western Electric 2H, 4H, 5H, and 6A dials, pending on verification that the four off-normal contacts indeed are a break (normally closed) and a make (normally open) pair.

In AE terms this would be an AK-29 type contact arrangement, with terminals W, BB, R, BK, BK, Y.   The two BK terminals are those that are bridged by the metal strap.

The dial pulse contacts are Y and BK (normally closed).  The make-pair is (BK, R), and the break-pair is (BB, W).

HarrySmith

Dial is AE. I have seen AE dials in WE phones before. Not difficult IIRC. Compare wiring diagrams and it should be fairly simple to work out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mark9564

Here is the ringer

mark9564

So would it be easier if I got a WE dial?

unbeldi

Quote from: mark9564 on January 18, 2015, 12:51:37 PM
So would it be easier if I got a WE dial?

No, it's the same amount of work.  This dial is completely compatible with an WECo dial, but do need to confirm the exact function of the off-normal contacts, the picture is only so clear... if you provide a close-up shot of just the contacts, it will probably become a certainty.

mark9564

Hope this is good enough.

dsk

poplar1

The hookswitch contacts are also WE, and it looks like a WE 7A transmitter mount. Is it possible that this was a WE 333A non-dial wall set, and an independent shop converted it to dial? The wood terminal strip in the base is somewhat  like those found in a WE 533A or 534A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mark9564

So is it possible to hook up the dial?

unbeldi

There should be an induction coil under that wooden terminal block in the subset. Does it have a number on it?

mark9564

Automatic electric co. D68197A  1MF  LO